Thumbscrews & pilliwinks

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2000
      M'noble friend Sovany Barsci Janos wrote...==
      >Well, here we go again. You've got me roped into
      >another list :)

      and M'lady Isabelle wrote...
      >Egads, my mailbox is going to burst!! :-)

      Hehehe, Does this mean I can put the thumbscrews and pilliwinks away now?
      ;-)

      Talking of which, anyone care to hazard a guess as to the earliest
      documentable appearance of these particular pieces of civilisation in the
      SIG area/period? FWIW there is a fairly new Museum of Torture Implements in
      Prague, but I haven't visited it yet - all replicas and no originals
      apparently

      TTFN

      Alastair
      letting his nastier side out to play...
    • Barcsi Janos
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2000
        --- "Alastair Millar" <alastair@...>
        > wrote:

        >Talking of which, anyone care to hazard a guess as to the earliest
        >documentable appearance of these particular pieces of civilisation in the
        >SIG area/period? FWIW there is a fairly new Museum of Torture Implements in
        >Prague, but I haven't visited it yet - all replicas and no originals
        >apparently

        There's also one in Rothenburg o. d. Tauber, in "Freistaat Bayern", where the implements are all genuine. It's worth the trip (from anywhere). If you haven't been there, Rothenburg is the closest you can come to being in a medieval city...the walls still stand, the roads are cobblestone, etc.. (Those roads are also jammed with tourists year-round.)

        I don't know how far back thumbscrews go, and never heard of those "pilliwinks" (I take it that they're not like tiddly-winks).

        Can I expand this to a bigger question? What were the "official" period means of interrogation in the SIG area? ("Official" as opposed to dunking people in a creek, or cutting off appendages, or making them work in a cubicle with no windows.)

        Janos

        ==
        The Honorable Lord
        SOV�NY BARCSI J�NOS
        c/o LTC J. C. Smith
        HQ USAREUR/7A
        CMR 420, BOX 2839
        APO AE 09063-283

        Meta Search the web http://Meta.Frodo.Com
      • MHoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2000
          In a message dated 9/25/2000 8:23:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
          janos@... writes:

          > Can I expand this to a bigger question? What were the "official" period
          > means of interrogation in the SIG area? ("Official" as opposed to dunking
          > people in a creek, or cutting off appendages, or making them work in a
          > cubicle with no windows.)

          In Russia, ordeal by fire. It was actually an official thing and could decide
          the outcome of a court case. Don't have an exact date, but I think it's
          rather later in our period.

          Another official means of punishment was flogging. Torture in general is
          mentioned in obtaining evidence/confession and as punishment, but I haven't
          found any details.

          Nor could I found any interesting data on jails. The word that appears in
          documents is "cellar" (<pogreb> -- the "buried, or dug-out, place"). For that
          matter, prison terms were unknown. Jails of their equivalents were only
          holding places. Punishment was either weregeld or servitude, or both,
          sometimes with a little flogging on top.

          Predslava,
          also with a dark side, but it's all in the interest of science, of course.