Re: [sig] Congrats to the Angels Baronial Arts Champion!!!

  • Sarayya@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2000
      It certainly was a great day! Liudmila entered 4 out of the 5 categories in
      the A&S competition in Angels, which just happens to be the barony I live in!
      They left it up to the contestants to decide which category their work fit,
      so Liudmila had the bright idea to enter each headdress in a different
      category, so she wasn't competing against herself. She entered her blue
      headdress and cuffs as "Functional" art, her red venets as "Fiber" art, and
      her new red velvet (married woman's) kokoshnik with the wonderful pearl and
      gold embroidery as "Visual" art. Against very strong competition, she won in
      "Functional" and "Visual" arts. In the "Visual" category there was a very
      impressive book cover (made of wood), painted with iconic art like the Book
      of Kells or Durrow. Terrific. And also two portraits, painted in oils, of the
      current King and Queen. They were very good. Liudmila couldn't believe the
      judges thought her work was better than those two entries. I explained to her
      that the painted book cover and the portraits were very good, but there was
      definitely room for them to still be better. With her gold and
      pearl-embroidered red velvet kokoshnik, there was simply no way it could be
      better. It was gorgeous.

      Liudmila also entered the "Performance" art category, and told the Russian
      folk tale of the "Frog Princess". The King was both audience and judge, so
      Liudmila's mother, Irina, and I stood near the King, so she could look at us
      and not be nervous. She didn't seem nervous at all. She told the story very
      well, in an entertaining and dramatic fashion, and the King liked it a lot.
      So did we! Having entered and gained points in four categories, Liudmila must
      have had the highest number of accumulated points for all her entries, as she
      won the overall A&S Champion for the Barony of the Angels for the coming
      year, and has a medallion to wear to prove she is the champion.

      Next weekend Liudmila is teaching Russian Costume and Headdresses at
      Collegium. Originally we were supposed to teach it together, but I had a
      conflicting commitment and didn't think I had enough time to update my notes,
      so Liudmila is teaching it alone, but I will be there to help her, as I was
      able to cancel my other commitment. Since the registrar of the Collegium
      requires everyone present in the room to either be the teacher or a student,
      I have registered as a student in Liudmila's class! It tickles my sense of
      humor to be my apprentice's student. And yes, I am definitely feeling like a
      proud mama!

      As for the question by Zhenia <jesa@...>, you can find pictures and
      Liudmila's headdress instructions on her web site. If you don't have the
      address, she will be returning to San Diego tonight, and can give you the web
      page address the next time she reads her e-mail.

      Soraya Evodia of Odessa
    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 2000
        In a message dated 9/24/2000 11:14:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        Sarayya@... writes:

        << As for the question by Zhenia <jesa@...>, you can find pictures
        and
        Liudmila's headdress instructions on her web site. If you don't have the
        address, she will be returning to San Diego tonight, and can give you the
        web
        page address the next time she reads her e-mail. >>

        Thank you very much, Judwiga, and Mistress Soraya! I am still tickled over
        this (is that how you say it?), and you are certainly not helping me get over
        this occasion! I am going to turn permanent red from all these
        compliments...very Russian, of course.

        Anyway, I have pictures and instructions for kokoshnik and a maiden's
        headdress (I decided to call it "chelo," my sources seem to suggest that it
        is best). The pictures can be found at
        http://members.aol.com/LiudmilaV/KOKOSHNIK.htm -- and the blue headdress
        mentioned by Mistress Soraya is the one I am wearing (crookedly) in SIG
        Member Gallery picture,
        http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/gallery/liudmila.html

        Sorry, Isabelle -- those are not patterns as such, but I think that you need
        to fit that to your head anyway, and personal pattern making is explained on
        my site. hey are very easy, once you get going.

        Liudmila