Host (was: Vilkas?)

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2000
      Predslava wrote...

      >My point is that without sufficient knowledge of linguisitics
      >AND the languages concerned, we cannot, we MUST not
      >conclude that two words have the same (or even a similar)
      >meaning just by the resemblance of sounds or spelling.

      Absolutely. To take a rather extreme example, "pan" in English is something
      for cooking in, but "pan" in Czech means "Mr."... while "pa'n" is
      "gentleman".

      >Stranger coincidences have occurred.

      There are also sometimes problems when two languages have separately
      borrowed from a third: one such instance which caused me no end of confusion
      when I was learning Czech was the word "host". The English word "host", in
      the sense of a person who has guests in the house etc., comes from the Old
      French "host", in turn derived from Latin "hospes, hospitis" meaning
      "stranger, guest".

      The Czech "host", like that root Latin, means "guest", i.e. has the opposite
      meaning to the same word in English! From it come derivatives such as
      "hostina" (En "banquet" - i.e. something for guests) and "hostitel" (this
      time En. "host", i.e. one who deals with or looks after guests, cf. the
      guestmaster in an Orthodox monastery).

      Cheers!

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)