Re: Weaving in Kievan Rus

  • Elizabeth B. Naime
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2000
      Tasha wrote:

      > I'm thinking tablet weaving... trim, drawstings, belts, string...

      Peering at icons that don't look TOO Byzantine, the trim where visible
      seems so far to favor designs with strong diagonals. I know that anything
      is possible with pick-up patterns, but diagonals are so natural to tablet
      (card) weaving that my first guess is with you.

      So I'm picking through whatever period art I can find, and looking for
      weaving references in the primary chronicle. Guess I'll have to do my own
      homework on this one! (It will probably be worthwhile to invest in
      Collingwood's card weaving book, too; he's pretty good about giving lots
      of historical examples)

      While the Rus' bear no relation to the Khazars that I know of, material on
      "Khazaria" does often mention neighbors in useful ways, so the suggestion
      isn't all that far out (let's all politely ignore the turkic-whatever
      part, okay?).

      Elspeth the ill-named
      Elizabeth Naime <elspeth@...>