Re: Sig-New Question..When did Poland become Poland??

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2000
      Venceslav wrote...

      >As far as I can recollect Poland or the lands that would
      >later become Poland had the earliest Slavic statehood.

      No. *Nationhood* perhaps, but the first Western Slavic proto-state was Great
      Moravia.

      >In his chronicles Slavs are called Vends or Veneds

      Ah, another whiff of controversy...
      I personally subscribe to the theory backed up by archaeological evidence
      which says that the Western Slavic forerunners of the Czechs & Poles arrived
      in Europe much later - say 5th-6th century. Others (I know) disagree with
      this, and going on historical and other factors link the Medieval Wends to
      groups mentioned by Classical authors.

      Cheers!

      Alastair