Re: [sig] Sig-New Question..When did Poland become Poland??

  • V. Boitchenko
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2000
      Greetings!

      As far as I can recollect Poland or the lands that would later become Poland had the earliest Slavic statehood. There is a national monument (cannot remember what its name is...some Gorodiscze...???) that is a reconstruction based on archeological discoveries. There was a King (???) or chief named Boz and it is mentioned in some Roman and Greek chronicles and it was somehow connected with the Alans and Scythians. I may have confused some things and there is nowhere I can look it up. One of the sources to look up is Tacitus and his description from traveling in those lands. In his chronicles Slavs are called Vends or Veneds. Maybe someone else here can help or correct me.

      Czesc!

      Venceslav

      I know that one of the major Greek Historians mentioned an island that is
      in Poland, and that was Really early, but I would like to know when the
      rest of Europe recognized Poland as Poland. According to the Historical
      Atlas of the Medieval World, Poland,Poles, and cities that were Polish
      cities were around and established by 600.
      I would really like to know more about this!! Thanks!!
      Judwiga
      PS... Estrella is only 4 months away.. would anyone like to get together
      for a Slavic night??
      Also, all are welcome to come to my Polish class for a slavic get
      together.. It is either Friday morn or Sunday morn..havent heard yet!!!