Slightly OT misc words from Greek

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2000
      Venceslav wrote...
      >I am not an expert in Greek, but from my limited
      >knowledge and from the word Orthopedic I can assume
      >that feet will be "ped" or something similar.

      My dictionary (Chambers) gives the parts as "orthos" meaning straight,
      upright or right, and "pais, paidos" meaning a child (the same element that
      occurs in words like p(a)ediatrics, p(a)edophilia etc.). The similar - to me
      at least - "pes, pedis" is foot.

      The word "orthop(a)edics" apparently _originally_ meant the curing of
      deformities arising from childhood diseases or injuries. Now of course, it
      has a broader meaning.

      "Doxa" as a root is defined by Chambers as meaning "opinion, reputation,
      glory" when used in words like doxology, doxography etc. However, it gives
      up with a weak "Origin unknown" for the word doxy meaning a mistress -
      Istvan's explanation seems good to me.

      Cheers!

      Alastair
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2000
        Hi Venceslav!

        Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...
        the "pes, pedis" element I mentioned is of course Latin, and the Greek the
        (again similar) "pous, poudos". Times like this I miss not having had a
        classical education... Volunteers to slap my wrist can join the queue... ;-)

        >Slavic languages translate Orthodox as "Correct Glorification"

        FWIW Czechs - and the Orthodox Churches here - almost always use
        <pravoslavnost>, lit. "right/correct/fitting glorification" but there is the
        occasional alternative <pravove'rnost>, lit. "right/correct/fitting faith".

        Cheers!

        Alastair

        Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)