Re: [sig] In Moscow -- lapti

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      In a message dated 9/5/2000 6:23:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      dvryaboy@... writes:

      << By the way - I am sure Yana knows this, but in case someone else doesn't..
      All the books I've read (Rabinovich, Arcihovskiy, a few others) agree that
      lapti were worn by the poorest villagers. So don't go wearing them with
      your court garb :).

      -Dmitriy
      half expecting someone to pull out a quote from some absolute authority
      that completely disproves everything I've just said.. that's been happening
      a lot lately :) >>

      So tempting to say you are wrong now...but you are not, of course. They all
      say that only peasants wore lapti, that they were rarely, if ever, worn by
      even poor city dwellers, and that they only lasted a few days, a week at the
      most, if worn daily. So I wouldn't recommend wearing them to a war, either.

      Liudmila
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
        >So tempting to say you are wrong now...but you are not, of course. They all
        >say that only peasants wore lapti, that they were rarely, if ever, worn by
        >even poor city dwellers, and that they only lasted a few days, a week at the
        >most, if worn daily. So I wouldn't recommend wearing them to a war, either.
        >
        >Liudmila

        I would love to have a pair to do some wear experiments of my own. I still
        have half of a pair of lapti (in other words, one shoe) that Mordak
        generously loaned to me long ago (typical American system of borrowing
        another's tools and then forgetting to return them). I am trying to figure
        out how they are made, at least this particular style. I have been
        studying books on basketry in the hopes that some basket-making experience
        will help me when I attempt to make a pair of shoes. I am going to study
        the weave and try to recreate it using strips of paper first (in order to
        generate a pattern) and then bark/bast strips. Any suggestions from fellow
        List people?

        --Yana