Re: [sig] New Subject: Reference Idea Requests

  • Trudy A Plotz
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2000
      Walrave,
      My primary persona is a Swedish Viking in the 900's. I really enjoy
      heraldry and greatly appreciate any help you have the time to give
      regarding this subject.
      Lady Saranna

      On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:13:48 -0700 (PDT) <vespirus@...>
      writes:
      > So what is your primary persona? If you decide you really like
      > being
      > Czech, I have resources on Czech and Slovak heraldry, and could help
      > you
      > design arms that fit into the appropriate style. (But not right now,
      > real
      > life strikes!)
      >
      > --Walraven

      ++++++++++++
      "Please don't let my reality hinder your imagination." --The Red Green
      Show
      mailto:VikingRose@...

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2000
        On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Trudy A Plotz wrote:

        > Walrave,
        > My primary persona is a Swedish Viking in the 900's. I really enjoy
        > heraldry and greatly appreciate any help you have the time to give
        > regarding this subject.

        Well, I can tell you that someone living in the 900s would not have had
        heraldry, since it did not exist yet. In the SCA, we don't usually let
        that stop us from designing heraldry and using it -- all based on the idea
        that you're interacting with other people using heraldry, and an traveller
        in a foreign land usually adopted some of the customs of his/her new home.

        My advice, without knowing specifics of your taste or how much you already
        know about heraldry, is to keep it simple. Simple heraldry is early
        heraldry, and the simpler designs are considered more elegant by those who
        are "in the know" about such things.

        If you have specific ideas or designs in mind, I'd be happy to discuss
        them with you privately (rather than burdening the list with an off-topic
        discussion).

        --Walraven