Re: [sig] New Subject: Reference Idea Requests

  • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2000
      On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Trudy A Plotz wrote:

      > I am thinking of developing a second persona from either Ceska Trebova,
      > Bohemia or Domasov, Ivancice, Brno, Moravia set in the late middle ages
      > or early Renaissance. (I have ancestors from those two areas of the now
      > Czech Republic)

      So what is your primary persona? If you decide you really like being
      Czech, I have resources on Czech and Slovak heraldry, and could help you
      design arms that fit into the appropriate style. (But not right now, real
      life strikes!)

      --Walraven
    • Trudy A Plotz
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2000
        Walrave,
        My primary persona is a Swedish Viking in the 900's. I really enjoy
        heraldry and greatly appreciate any help you have the time to give
        regarding this subject.
        Lady Saranna

        On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:13:48 -0700 (PDT) <vespirus@...>
        writes:
        > So what is your primary persona? If you decide you really like
        > being
        > Czech, I have resources on Czech and Slovak heraldry, and could help
        > you
        > design arms that fit into the appropriate style. (But not right now,
        > real
        > life strikes!)
        >
        > --Walraven

        ++++++++++++
        "Please don't let my reality hinder your imagination." --The Red Green
        Show
        mailto:VikingRose@...

        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2000
          On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Trudy A Plotz wrote:

          > Walrave,
          > My primary persona is a Swedish Viking in the 900's. I really enjoy
          > heraldry and greatly appreciate any help you have the time to give
          > regarding this subject.

          Well, I can tell you that someone living in the 900s would not have had
          heraldry, since it did not exist yet. In the SCA, we don't usually let
          that stop us from designing heraldry and using it -- all based on the idea
          that you're interacting with other people using heraldry, and an traveller
          in a foreign land usually adopted some of the customs of his/her new home.

          My advice, without knowing specifics of your taste or how much you already
          know about heraldry, is to keep it simple. Simple heraldry is early
          heraldry, and the simpler designs are considered more elegant by those who
          are "in the know" about such things.

          If you have specific ideas or designs in mind, I'd be happy to discuss
          them with you privately (rather than burdening the list with an off-topic
          discussion).

          --Walraven