Displacement/Invasion

  • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2000
      On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Shadow wrote:
      > I guess my next question about those nomadic raider types is...
      > someone told me that was how they acquired land. So what was wrong
      > with the original land they lived in? Wasn't it suitable for
      > agriculture or making a living? Was there something that caused one
      > group to flee, who collided with the next... & so on.
      >
      > So there must be some sort of actual reason for the several centuries
      > of chaos & 'barbarian' invasions. Just curious & want to know.

      One interesting idea that has begun to accumulate some nice supporting
      evidence is that there was a major volcanic eruption around that time.
      There are layers of ash, bizarre tree-ring records in Europe, and Chinese
      historical records that taken together suggest a volcano in Indonesia
      (perhaps even Krakatau) exploded with such force and violence that the
      dust sent into the atmosphere changed global climate for the next several
      years. The suggestion is that the lands of Mongolia and central Asia
      underwent a serious drought that overturned political order and sent a
      series of ousted peoples west into Europe.

      I can't give you more specifics than that, except that there was a program
      on PBS a few months ago on the subject, and that the major proponent of
      the idea has written a careful book on the subject.

      --Walraven