Re: [sig] Domostroi-wear cites

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2000
      In a message dated 8/31/2000 9:37:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      timbo@... writes:

      << And in Caid, you have that beautiful rag district right in LA
      with all those fabrics: light wieght, medium weight, brocades, silks,
      velvets, even silk velvets if you go to Diamond Fabrics on LaBrea
      Blvd. Huge sigh. Its enough to put a cloth hound like me over the
      edge, and wouldn't that be an UGLY sight! >>

      No no no, I don't want to go there! I have a letnik and a shubka planned out
      already (not meant to be worn together so far), but if you tempt me some more
      I might go buy something yellow and red for "yellow letnik and red shubka" of
      Domostroi. I wanted to make this for a while, just didn't see anything
      flashy enough in those colors that I was tempted to. Plus I couldn't find how
      to park by Diamond Fabrics whem I drove past a few times. And I am too busy
      anyway. And... Well, maybe after the baby. I am really curios as to how
      those boyaryna's really looked like.

      Liudmila
    • Sarayya@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5 1:39 AM
        In a message dated 8/31/00 8:37:44 PM, timbo@... writes:

        << The Horizan History of Russia; Buehr, Wendy, Ed.; American Heritage
        Publishishing Company, Inc.; NY, NY; 1972; pgs. 52, 79
        (pg. 52 is huge but 17th C.; pg. 79 is a Novgoradian version of the
        famous "Vladimir - Sudzalian fight in the 14C but is a period piece)

        Dear 'dak,

        I have the same book, but it's copyright date is 1970 and what's on p. 52 is
        the period piece - it shows seven members of the Kuzmin family who
        commissioned this icon in 1467. The woman? on the far right looks like she
        might have the sleeves you are talking about. Are we looking at the same
        picture?

        Best regards from Soraya
      • timbo@marcon.org
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5 5:30 PM
          Sarayya,
          You're right, as usual. I hope you don't mind, but I asked Ilyana
          Barsova to scan in our pictures onto the Russian knowledge page from
          my visit. I show them at my costuming classes and thought it would be
          nice if folks cou;d put a face with your name and work.
          BTW, thanks for the info on the ID. I'll add it to my lists.
          'dak
        • Jenn/Yana
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6 2:33 PM
            >Sarayya,
            > You're right, as usual. I hope you don't mind, but I asked Ilyana
            >Barsova to scan in our pictures onto the Russian knowledge page from
            >my visit. I show them at my costuming classes and thought it would be
            >nice if folks cou;d put a face with your name and work.
            > BTW, thanks for the info on the ID. I'll add it to my lists.
            >'dak

            Umm...I assume that this was meant to be a private letter. I should let
            you (and everyone else) know that I already have scanned in the pics, about
            3 months ago. They are in the SIG Gallery at
            <http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/gallery/index.html>. I have others
            that I will scan in, but now that school has started it will be slow. I
            will also probably be rescanning the ones that are now up because they
            aren't the best quality.

            --Yana
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6 6:07 PM
              >I should let
              >you (and everyone else) know that I already have scanned in the pics, about
              >3 months ago. They are in the SIG Gallery at
              ><http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/gallery/index.html>.

              Ooops....wrong address (although you are certainly welcome to send me
              pictures of yourself to put up there,, hint, hint)! The pictures in
              question are at <http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/knowledge/images.html>
              (I went and looked this time). Click on the thumbnails to see a larger
              picture, yadda, yadda,yadda.

              --Yana
            • Sarayya@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10 11:41 PM
                In a message dated 9/5/00 8:26:28 PM, timbo@... writes:
                << I hope you don't mind, but I asked Ilyana Barsova to scan in our pictures
                onto the Russian knowledge page from my visit. I show them at my costuming
                classes and thought it would be nice if folks could put a face with your name
                and work. >>

                Delighted to be there and in your pleasant company, 'dak.

                Soraya