[sig] Re: Re-enactment question

  • Lord Kainin Tep├ęsa
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
      >Salut!
      >
      >not to put you off, but if I can find them when I am near a computer
      >or about to be on a computer before Pennsic, I would be happy to post
      >them for you. Otherwise, I am afraid it will have to wait until I
      >return. The hard copies with webpages in the corners are at my home
      >in a couple of piles, while I am at work. And my DH and I still have
      >to finish making the walls for our ger.
      >
      >I will happily post them though, as soon as I am able.
      >
      >Cu drag,
      >Despina de la Brasov

      Then I shall wait patiently for your return.

      Many thanks,
      Kainin
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
        Despina -

        The points you raise are all valid, but I think you may be slightly missing
        my point.

        (BTW, I might dispute the accuracy of the claim that "the English... were
        never completely looted and taken over by a dictator or form of government
        that believed in complete supression and destruction of the past" - what
        about the Danelaw? Or, much more successfully, the Normans??)

        I am more than aware of the lack of sources for the early period - I am
        trained as an archaeologist, and now live in Bohemia and work in the
        heritage sector. However, the Czechs for example have an excellent,
        unquashed tradition stretching from the early chronicles to the romanticism
        of the C19th National Reawakening of a detailed pseudo-history of their
        arrival and settlement in the what is now Bohemia, and of the foundation of
        the great Premyslid ruling dynasty... so why no re-enactors for this period?

        There is certainly enough published archaeological evidence of the
        enclosures used by the first Slavic settlers to make a fair stab at
        reconstruction, if one really wants to... but no-one wants to. The question
        is, why not??

        Note that there ARE re-enactment groups in Central Europe - and, as list
        members have noted, even SCA-affiliated groups in Russia, which suffered all
        the problems you mention. In Bohemia we have re-created Iron age
        settlements, Medieval burghs, Thirty Years' War engagements, C19th
        fortresses and even WWII bunkers... but why nothing about origins?

        Any ideas, anyone????

        Alastair

        Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
        CzechEd@egroups.com - Cz/En/Cz translation list