[sig] Re: Re-enactment question

  • Lord Kainin Tepésa
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
      >Only *very* recently have I been able to find
      >manuscript type documents pre-19th century from this area on the web,
      >as well as pics of frescos from 15th and 16th century monestaries to
      >use as reference for cosumes and scribal work.

      Would you please, please share those?

      Kainin
    • Despina de la Brasov
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
        --- In sig@egroups.com, Lord Kainin Tepésa <kainin@c...> wrote:
        > >Only *very* recently have I been able to find
        > >manuscript type documents pre-19th century from this area on the
        web,
        > >as well as pics of frescos from 15th and 16th century monestaries
        > >use as reference for cosumes and scribal work.
        >
        > Would you please, please share those?
        >
        > Kainin

        Salut!

        not to put you off, but if I can find them when I am near a computer
        or about to be on a computer before Pennsic, I would be happy to post
        them for you. Otherwise, I am afraid it will have to wait until I
        return. The hard copies with webpages in the corners are at my home
        in a couple of piles, while I am at work. And my DH and I still have
        to finish making the walls for our ger.

        I will happily post them though, as soon as I am able.

        Cu drag,
        Despina de la Brasov
      • Lord Kainin Tepésa
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
          >Salut!
          >
          >not to put you off, but if I can find them when I am near a computer
          >or about to be on a computer before Pennsic, I would be happy to post
          >them for you. Otherwise, I am afraid it will have to wait until I
          >return. The hard copies with webpages in the corners are at my home
          >in a couple of piles, while I am at work. And my DH and I still have
          >to finish making the walls for our ger.
          >
          >I will happily post them though, as soon as I am able.
          >
          >Cu drag,
          >Despina de la Brasov

          Then I shall wait patiently for your return.

          Many thanks,
          Kainin
        • Alastair Millar
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
            Despina -

            The points you raise are all valid, but I think you may be slightly missing
            my point.

            (BTW, I might dispute the accuracy of the claim that "the English... were
            never completely looted and taken over by a dictator or form of government
            that believed in complete supression and destruction of the past" - what
            about the Danelaw? Or, much more successfully, the Normans??)

            I am more than aware of the lack of sources for the early period - I am
            trained as an archaeologist, and now live in Bohemia and work in the
            heritage sector. However, the Czechs for example have an excellent,
            unquashed tradition stretching from the early chronicles to the romanticism
            of the C19th National Reawakening of a detailed pseudo-history of their
            arrival and settlement in the what is now Bohemia, and of the foundation of
            the great Premyslid ruling dynasty... so why no re-enactors for this period?

            There is certainly enough published archaeological evidence of the
            enclosures used by the first Slavic settlers to make a fair stab at
            reconstruction, if one really wants to... but no-one wants to. The question
            is, why not??

            Note that there ARE re-enactment groups in Central Europe - and, as list
            members have noted, even SCA-affiliated groups in Russia, which suffered all
            the problems you mention. In Bohemia we have re-created Iron age
            settlements, Medieval burghs, Thirty Years' War engagements, C19th
            fortresses and even WWII bunkers... but why nothing about origins?

            Any ideas, anyone????

            Alastair

            Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
            CzechEd@egroups.com - Cz/En/Cz translation list