Re: Re-enactment question

  • Despina de la Brasov
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
      > This excellent (and important) question came from a colleague in
      Poland -
      > any ideas, anyone?
      >
      > [quote]
      > Can you explain why there are so few Slav historical re-enactments
      in
      > central Europe?

      Salut Alistar,

      It is, indeed and excellent question your colleague poses. My
      personal answer comes from my experiences in research. The English
      wrote a lot down, and they were never completely looted and taken
      over by a dictator or form of government that believed in complete
      supression and destruction of the past (Cromwell aside, as much
      survived him and he wasn't in power so long in the grand scheme of
      things).

      My area is Transylvania/Wallachia - modern day Romania. When the
      communists took it over, they took it over. My research into
      historical dress for the area turns up a lot of folk costume that can
      be positively dated to the 19th century, no farther. (If one more
      person sends me to a website that turns up a ton of folk costume and
      nothing documentable before 1600, I think I will cry with the
      frustration of it.)Only *very* recently have I been able to find
      manuscript type documents pre-19th century from this area on the web,
      as well as pics of frescos from 15th and 16th century monestaries to
      use as reference for cosumes and scribal work. And those are
      extremely few. All of the artwork that I can find on the web done by
      people from this area - 19th century and later, not a lot of it
      either.

      I would love to find portraits of the ruling princes and nobles of
      the area from pre-1600 (aside from Vlad the Impaler), but it is very
      difficult. Supression and destruction has eradicated and slowed down
      the availability of material on this area, and many other former
      communist state areas.

      So, I guess I'd say it's not for lack of love of history, but for
      lack of period sources, destruction of such sources and long time
      supression of such sources.

      Cu Drag,
      Despina de la Brasov
    • Lord Kainin Tepésa
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
        >Only *very* recently have I been able to find
        >manuscript type documents pre-19th century from this area on the web,
        >as well as pics of frescos from 15th and 16th century monestaries to
        >use as reference for cosumes and scribal work.

        Would you please, please share those?

        Kainin
      • Despina de la Brasov
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
          --- In sig@egroups.com, Lord Kainin Tepésa <kainin@c...> wrote:
          > >Only *very* recently have I been able to find
          > >manuscript type documents pre-19th century from this area on the
          web,
          > >as well as pics of frescos from 15th and 16th century monestaries
          > >use as reference for cosumes and scribal work.
          >
          > Would you please, please share those?
          >
          > Kainin

          Salut!

          not to put you off, but if I can find them when I am near a computer
          or about to be on a computer before Pennsic, I would be happy to post
          them for you. Otherwise, I am afraid it will have to wait until I
          return. The hard copies with webpages in the corners are at my home
          in a couple of piles, while I am at work. And my DH and I still have
          to finish making the walls for our ger.

          I will happily post them though, as soon as I am able.

          Cu drag,
          Despina de la Brasov
        • Lord Kainin Tepésa
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
            >Salut!
            >
            >not to put you off, but if I can find them when I am near a computer
            >or about to be on a computer before Pennsic, I would be happy to post
            >them for you. Otherwise, I am afraid it will have to wait until I
            >return. The hard copies with webpages in the corners are at my home
            >in a couple of piles, while I am at work. And my DH and I still have
            >to finish making the walls for our ger.
            >
            >I will happily post them though, as soon as I am able.
            >
            >Cu drag,
            >Despina de la Brasov

            Then I shall wait patiently for your return.

            Many thanks,
            Kainin
          • Alastair Millar
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2000
              Despina -

              The points you raise are all valid, but I think you may be slightly missing
              my point.

              (BTW, I might dispute the accuracy of the claim that "the English... were
              never completely looted and taken over by a dictator or form of government
              that believed in complete supression and destruction of the past" - what
              about the Danelaw? Or, much more successfully, the Normans??)

              I am more than aware of the lack of sources for the early period - I am
              trained as an archaeologist, and now live in Bohemia and work in the
              heritage sector. However, the Czechs for example have an excellent,
              unquashed tradition stretching from the early chronicles to the romanticism
              of the C19th National Reawakening of a detailed pseudo-history of their
              arrival and settlement in the what is now Bohemia, and of the foundation of
              the great Premyslid ruling dynasty... so why no re-enactors for this period?

              There is certainly enough published archaeological evidence of the
              enclosures used by the first Slavic settlers to make a fair stab at
              reconstruction, if one really wants to... but no-one wants to. The question
              is, why not??

              Note that there ARE re-enactment groups in Central Europe - and, as list
              members have noted, even SCA-affiliated groups in Russia, which suffered all
              the problems you mention. In Bohemia we have re-created Iron age
              settlements, Medieval burghs, Thirty Years' War engagements, C19th
              fortresses and even WWII bunkers... but why nothing about origins?

              Any ideas, anyone????

              Alastair

              Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
              CzechEd@egroups.com - Cz/En/Cz translation list