Re: [sig] Re: dyeing was mourning

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2 8:12 AM
      > Interesting. Would you please ask your historian husband for some reference
      > to this Red, White, and Black Ruthenians that I could look up? Growing up in
      > Ukraine and studying history I never heard of "Ruthenians." I would
      > appreciate the information.

      Try the Annals of Jan Dlugoz, which is an english translation of a
      fifteenth century Polish history. It took me forever to work out who and
      where the Ruthenians were, because they show up all over the place but
      nobody seems to explain them. However, when you speak to older people they
      talk about White, Black and Red Russians (NOT the drinks, but
      nationalities or ethnicities apparently?) and those seem to corespond to
      the Ruthenians. Perhaps 'Ruthenians' is the latin or english term and
      there is another term in Ukranian, that the older people were translating
      as 'Russian'?

      "They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the
      nuts work loose.
      They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when
      they damn-well choose. " -Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"