wool yarn......

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 5:43 PM
      I've got (at least) five great big balls of Corriedale wool. I did
      everything on them except shear the sheep! I used hand-carders to prepare
      the fleece; I think the Kiev Rus would have used combs, like the Vikings
      did. I'd be really shocked if they used hand-carders; I don't think those
      came in until the thirteenth century, and all of the documentation is from
      western Europe (England, France, maybe Italy). It's not dyed. I spun the
      yarn "in the grease", which means I didn't wash the fleece before I spun it.
      Again, this is the way the Vikings spun. I don't know what they used, if
      anything, to wash the fleece after spinning. Corriedale is just about the
      greasiest fleece out there--your hands are absolutely covered with lanolin
      after you spin just one roving, which might be a couple of yards of the
      stuff. I don't know, I didn't do any measurement. We use vinegar to get the
      grease out, but I didn't get all of the lanolin out of my last batch, even
      after I soaked it in vinegar twice and then soap. I've been told this could
      screw me if I ever tried to dye it. This stuff is rather sloppy; I've only
      been spinning since February, and I didn't start doing my own preparation
      until May. Now I'm wondering what the heck to do with all of this yarn. I
      wouldn't mind having something nice and warm for Gulf Wars nights (yeah, we
      Meridians think it's freezing at night at the War--and sometimes during the
      day!). I don't have a loom (those things are out of my price range) so I'll
      have to think of some other form of textile construction besides weaving.
      Advice, anyone? Thanks in advance.

      Isabelle de Foix
      patricia.hefner@...
      Shire of Brantestone