OOP: red and flags (was Dyeing and mourning)

  • MHoll@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      In a message dated 8/1/2000 6:42:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dvryaboy@... writes:

      > That may have been a part of it, I don't know -- but I think the "official"
      > meaning was that it's the color of working men's blood spilled by the
      > "bourgeoise capitalist slaveworkers" :). At least thats what they told us
      60

      > some years later.
      > Didn't the French also use the red flag during their revolution, for
      pretty
      > much the same reason?

      Can I sound off just once more about those *&%#?!@ communists? Yeah, it's
      been bred into me.

      Anyway, they didn't come up with anything original. The "revolutionary" ideas
      were mostly adopted via France, but I wouldn't credit the French with too
      much originality...

      And the Russian flag -- white-blue-red -- as it was explained to me, can be
      deciphered as "white for honor, blue for the seas, and red for the blood
      spilled in defense of Russia".

      The French flag, on the other hand, is a vague post-revolutionary compromise:
      blue and red are the colors of Paris, and white is the color of
      nobility/royalty.

      In period, of course, there was no Russian flag, and actually no Russian
      colors, either.

      Predslava.