Re: Digest Number 37

  • timbo@xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 1999
      Tamit***,
      Cool, if the shirt is 50/50 that I get you, what size do you want?
      Should the logo be martial, arts, cultural or humorous in context?
      Usually all four can be found (though rarely in combination) and I
      trust my friends's taste and discretion.
      Mor*** ('dak).........another Russian with a dubious name (grin)

      Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 11:16:18 +0000
      From: Tamie Everton Fogle <tamfogle@...>
      To: sig@onelist.com
      Subject: Re: [sig] Digest Number 37

      From: Tamie Everton Fogle <tamfogle@...>

      Peanut butter is a comfort food in our house too. Jelly of course, but also honey,
      bananas and sometimes just alone! What do Russians eat for comfort foods?

      Dak- Pictures I can definitely do! The tshirt may be tougher. Since I live on an
      island I only get to Oerthan events three times a year. But I'll contact our
      Prinicpality Seneschal and see if there is any such monster becuase the trade
      sounds great!

      Tamitsa

      sig@onelist.com wrote:

      > No need to send anything at all. a picture of you in your first creation
      > from the manuals would be great.
      > I'll trade you this year's Pennsic T-shirt for either an Oertha or An
      > Tir specific SCA T-shirt, in an XL and 50/50 or preshrunk cotton

      You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
      Drawing is held each week through August 20. For details, go to
      http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

    • timbo@xxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 1999
        Not to be droll, but does vodka count as a comfort food. I know that
        whiskey and beer does in Ireland and has for centuries....
        'dak

        From: LiudmilaV@...
        Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:22:43 EDT
        To: sig@onelist.com

        From: LiudmilaV@...

        In a message dated 8/6/99 12:28:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        tamfogle@... writes:

        << Peanut butter is a comfort food in our house too. Jelly of course, but
        also honey,
        bananas and sometimes just alone! What do Russians eat for comfort foods? >>

        I think I've never heard of such thing as "comfort food" back there... See,
        during the past decade at least most people are just glad to have food, they
        can't be picky. Do you know that during burglaries in Ukraine these days
        fridges get raided as well? But it appears to me that even before those hard
        times the concept of "comfort food" didn't exist. I personally, though,
        living here, go for chocolate and pickled stuff. Not together.

        Mila

        Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
        http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html
        With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

      • MHoll@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 1999
          In a message dated 8/6/1999 2:28:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
          tamfogle@... writes:

          > What do Russians eat for comfort foods?

          Tea with home-made preserves on the side?

          But since I've spent a year in the UK, "British" tea is my comfort "food"
          (sweet, with milk).

          Predslava
        • MHoll@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 10, 1999
            In a message dated 8/7/1999 9:56:33 AM Central Daylight Time,
            timbo@... writes:

            > Not to be droll, but does vodka count as a comfort food.

            Depends on who you talk to. My father and brothers would applaud, but you
            would wither under my mother's glare.

            In general, food is *the* criterium for hospitality. My mother says to put
            the best out for guests, even if we have to eat the equivalent of mac&cheese
            for a few days. And drink goes with food. But food is not used as "comfort"
            as in the US, or tea in the UK.

            Same results (longs belts and ample dresses), different concepts.

            Predslava,
            now utterly confused about the meaning of food, with 4 cultures clashing in
            her memory.
          • Tasha
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 10, 1999
              --- MHoll@... wrote:
              > From: MHoll@...
              >
              > Predslava,
              > now utterly confused about the meaning of food, with
              > 4 cultures clashing in
              > her memory.

              I have sat myself down at Boston Market with a plate
              of ham, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes after a
              long, trying day, and by the end of the meal, felt
              much better. I'm not saying that I always eat to feel
              better; sometimes I go to Joanne's Fabrics and spend a
              little time petting the $20 a yard dress velvet and
              dream of the houppelande or caftan I'll make someday
              (I know houppelandes aren't Russian, but they're
              sooooo pretty).

              What would/do Russian people do to comfort themselves?

              Tasha
              always curious about other cultures
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 1999
                In a message dated 8/10/1999 8:20:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                tasha_medved@... writes:

                <<
                What would/do Russian people do to comfort themselves?

                I am not exactly Russian, just from there... but I read, usually the books
                I've read many times before, such as Master and Margarita by Bulgakov, or
                Three Musketeers, or some Brothers Strugatskie, or Heinlein (I know, strange
                variety). I believe this kind of comforting is common among Russian
                intelligentsia as well. I've also heard that knitting or embroidery help,
                and tested this theory using beading -- it worked.

                Liudmila
              • Tasha
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 1999
                  --- LiudmilaV@... wrote:
                  > From: LiudmilaV@...

                  > Daylight Time,
                  > tasha_medved@... writes:
                  >
                  > <<
                  > What would/do Russian people do to comfort
                  > themselves?
                  > >>

                  > I am not exactly Russian, just from there... but I
                  > read, usually the books
                  > I've read many times before, such as Master and
                  > Margarita by Bulgakov, or
                  > Three Musketeers, or some Brothers Strugatskie, or
                  > Heinlein (I know, strange
                  > variety).

                  No stranger than anyone else here, I'm sure.

                  I believe this kind of comforting is
                  > common among Russian
                  > intelligentsia as well. I've also heard that
                  > knitting or embroidery help,
                  > and tested this theory using beading -- it worked.
                  >
                  > Liudmila

                  Now that you mention it, I do feel remarkably calm
                  after stitching on something. I'm making an
                  undertunic out of some fairly fragile crinkle gauze,
                  so I decided to handstitch everything. I spent the
                  weekend rolling seams and sewing (and sewing and
                  sewing) and felt really relaxed when all was said and
                  done (other than having sore fingers from the tiny
                  pricks of the needle... I need to stop guiding with my
                  under-finger).

                  Tasha