Re: [sig] Kaftans

  • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2000
      Wow. I had no idea "kaftan" is actually a word in English. Five years in the
      country, never heard it used other than in "that Russian coat-thingie"
      context. Live and learn. I loked it up in the dictionary, Jenn is right.
      Guess I shouldn't be too surprised after that pirozhki commercial a couple
      years back ("No, it's not a Russian dog." "Woof!")
      Still doesn't make it "right" right, though.

      Dmitriy

      >From: Jenn Ridley <jridley@...>
      >In current American usage, a tunic is a long top that comes down past
      >hip level; it may be button front or pullover.
      >
      >The seller is calling it what she should (in current american usage,
      >based on the usage I've seen in catalogs and stores) be calling it.
      >It's not correct from a historical point of view, and she probably
      >should not be selling it as SCA wear, *but* it is what most Americans
      >currently call a kaftan.
      >
      >jenn
      >---
      >Jenn Ridley
      >jenn.ridley@...

    • Robert J Welenc
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2000
        At 10:33 AM 7/4/00 PDT, you wrote:

        >Wow. I had no idea "kaftan" is actually a word in English.

        You generally see it (or did when they were popular) spelled
        'caftan'.

        Alanna
        Saying of the day:
        What the caterpillar calls the end, the butterfly calls the
        beginning.