Re: [sig] Kaftans

  • Shadow
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2000
      Jenn Ridley wrote:

      > >I thought a Kaftan was a long coat... sort of like a bathrobe but not made out of
      > >fuzzy bathrobe material. To my knowledge it was worn by Turkic peoples (including
      > >Khazars) and by Ashkenazic Jews in Poland/Russia. In one of the "costume" plates
      > >linked from the SIG page, there is a picture of Crimean Tatars, some of whom are
      > >wearing such a garment.
      > >http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/PLATE125AX.HTML
      > >
      > historically, you are correct. In current usage, that's not what
      > "kaftan" means, at least as far as I can tell...as I said, I've seen
      > sewing patterns for "kaftans" from the 30's that have the same cut as
      > the item on eBay. It may be wrong, but that's the current usage....

      The thing on E-bay doesn't look authentic because of the strange patchworky decoration
      pattern. Other than that,
      from what I can see, the main reason why it shouldn't be called a 'kaftan' but rather
      a 'tunic' is that it doesn't open down the front. Is this correct, that the difference
      between a Kaftan & a tunic is that a kaftan opens all the way down the front?
      If so, I can take my old tunics & cut them down the front & make them into kaftans,
      thus recycling my old garb!

      Leah
    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2000
        On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 08:59:04 +0000, Shadow <shadow42@...> wrote:
        >Jenn Ridley wrote:
        >> On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 22:30:04 PDT, "Dmitriy V. Ryaboy"
        >> <dvryaboy@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> >http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=371058483
        >> >Anyone care to explain to the lady what a kaftan is? I would, but don't have
        >> >the resources handy to explain well enough.
        >>
        >> OK, it's not appropriate for sca/renn faires, but it is what is
        >> currently called a kaftan....I've seen them all over. In general use,
        >> a kaftan has come to mean any straight cut, loose fitting garment with
        >> an ethnic cut....I've seen patterns for "kaftans" from the '30's that
        >> look like that one.....
        >
        >I thought a Kaftan was a long coat... sort of like a bathrobe but not made out of
        >fuzzy bathrobe material. To my knowledge it was worn by Turkic peoples (including
        >Khazars) and by Ashkenazic Jews in Poland/Russia. In one of the "costume" plates
        >linked from the SIG page, there is a picture of Crimean Tatars, some of whom are
        >wearing such a garment.
        >http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/PLATE125AX.HTML

        historically, you are correct. In current usage, that's not what
        "kaftan" means, at least as far as I can tell...as I said, I've seen
        sewing patterns for "kaftans" from the 30's that have the same cut as
        the item on eBay. It may be wrong, but that's the current usage....

        stasia
        ---
        Jenn Ridley
        jenn.ridley@...
      • Jenn Ridley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2000
          On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 11:10:18 +0000, Shadow <shadow42@...> wrote:

          >The thing on E-bay doesn't look authentic because of the strange patchworky decoration
          >pattern. Other than that,
          >from what I can see, the main reason why it shouldn't be called a 'kaftan' but rather
          >a 'tunic' is that it doesn't open down the front.

          In *current* American usage (not the emphasis on *current*), it *is* a
          kaftan. Kaftans don't open down the front. They pull over, with a
          slit down the front (very like a period tunic), and they're usually
          full length.

          In current American usage, a tunic is a long top that comes down past
          hip level; it may be button front or pullover.

          The seller is calling it what she should (in current american usage,
          based on the usage I've seen in catalogs and stores) be calling it.
          It's not correct from a historical point of view, and she probably
          should not be selling it as SCA wear, *but* it is what most Americans
          currently call a kaftan.

          jenn
          ---
          Jenn Ridley
          jenn.ridley@...
        • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2000
            Wow. I had no idea "kaftan" is actually a word in English. Five years in the
            country, never heard it used other than in "that Russian coat-thingie"
            context. Live and learn. I loked it up in the dictionary, Jenn is right.
            Guess I shouldn't be too surprised after that pirozhki commercial a couple
            years back ("No, it's not a Russian dog." "Woof!")
            Still doesn't make it "right" right, though.

            Dmitriy

            >From: Jenn Ridley <jridley@...>
            >In current American usage, a tunic is a long top that comes down past
            >hip level; it may be button front or pullover.
            >
            >The seller is calling it what she should (in current american usage,
            >based on the usage I've seen in catalogs and stores) be calling it.
            >It's not correct from a historical point of view, and she probably
            >should not be selling it as SCA wear, *but* it is what most Americans
            >currently call a kaftan.
            >
            >jenn
            >---
            >Jenn Ridley
            >jenn.ridley@...

          • Robert J Welenc
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2000
              At 10:33 AM 7/4/00 PDT, you wrote:

              >Wow. I had no idea "kaftan" is actually a word in English.

              You generally see it (or did when they were popular) spelled
              'caftan'.

              Alanna
              Saying of the day:
              What the caterpillar calls the end, the butterfly calls the
              beginning.