Re: [sig] Ugh...

  • Jenn Ridley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2000
      On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 22:30:04 PDT, "Dmitriy V. Ryaboy"
      <dvryaboy@...> wrote:

      >http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=371058483
      >Anyone care to explain to the lady what a kaftan is? I would, but don't have
      >the resources handy to explain well enough.

      Actually, except for the elastic at the waist, that *is* pretty close
      to what most Americans call a kaftan. A modern American kaftan does
      not have much, if any, resemblance to a period kaftan.

      OK, it's not appropriate for sca/renn faires, but it is what is
      currently called a kaftan....I've seen them all over. In general use,
      a kaftan has come to mean any straight cut, loose fitting garment with
      an ethnic cut....I've seen patterns for "kaftans" from the '30's that
      look like that one.....

      stasia/jenn
      ---
      Jenn Ridley