RE: [sig] Food Recipes PLEASE!!!

  • Judwiga Czarna Pika
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2000
      Peroigies, which you maybe can find at Smart and Final, though they call
      them Ravioli or some such, which you boil as usual, and then grill them
      with butter and onions.
      That is all that pops to mind quickly, except for Apple or strawberry soup,
      done cold, it is wonderful, but it requires a lot of work, though you could
      do it ahead of time....

      Murder Melee (another shamelss plug) and I need food recipes.

      > Something simple, not that costly to mass produce, and something that
      most people would like. ANy suggestions?!

      > I would prefer Russian recipes, but I'll take anything (except
      kvas...can't produce it...I'm not of drinking age, therefore no home-made
      alcohol).

      > If anyone (and I mean ANYONE!) can help me, I would truly appreciate it.
      >
      > Kseniia Nikolaevna (who is battling 2 school projects, getting organised
      to get herself to an event and trying to organise a social and get
      authorised for fencing...just too busy!)

      > Get free personalized email at http://www.iname.com

      > Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
      > more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long
      Distance
      > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

      Judwiga Czarna Pika
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 7:41 AM
        In a message dated 7/1/2000 1:15:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
        Judwiga@... writes:

        > Peroigies, which you maybe can find at Smart and Final, though they call
        > them Ravioli or some such, which you boil as usual, and then grill them
        > with butter and onions.

        This could be a Polish recipe, in which I'll let others comment if needed.

        However, in case anyone thinks this is a Russian recipe, IT IS NOT!

        Pirogi (pee-roh-GEE) are russian pastries -- baked with a variety of
        fillings, in particular cabbage, meat, mushrooms.

        Pirozhki (pee-roh-ZHKEE) are the same thing, bite-sized.

        The boiled-then-grilled (or just boiled) dish is a kind of dumpling in
        Russian cooking, called Pel'meni (pehl-MEH-nee) when filled with meat,
        Varenniki (vah-REHN-nee-kee) when filled with other stuff.

        Recipes are not hard to find. They're not hard to cook, either, just
        time-consuming. And of course, you serve it sour cream!

        *****************************
        Predslava Vydrina
        Per fess embattled azure and gules, two otters passant or.
        <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html">Russ
        ian History Trivia Page</A>
        (http://members.aol.com/Predslava/RussianHistoryTriviaPage.html)
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 11:05 AM
          > > Peroigies, which you maybe can find at Smart and Final, though they call
          > > them Ravioli or some such, which you boil as usual, and then grill them
          > > with butter and onions.
          > This could be a Polish recipe, in which I'll let others comment if needed.

          Dembinska claimed that Pirogi (specifically those with buckwheat dough)
          came from Russia in the 19th century. Lemnis (Old Polish Traditions) says
          otherwise.

          > The boiled-then-grilled (or just boiled) dish is a kind of dumpling in
          > Russian cooking, called Pel'meni (pehl-MEH-nee) when filled with meat,
          > Varenniki (vah-REHN-nee-kee) when filled with other stuff.

          Hm. Could Pirogi be the Polish (Slovak, Czech, etc.) name for Pelmeni?

          "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"
        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2 3:07 PM
            In a message dated 7/2/2000 1:05:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
            jenne@... writes:

            > Hm. Could Pirogi be the Polish (Slovak, Czech, etc.) name for Pelmeni?

            Anything is possible. I don't have a Polish dictionary on hand, but that's
            where I would start. As long as we're all straight on the issue that *in
            Russian* pel'meni are boiled (sometimes also fried, usually the second day)
            and that pirogi are bakes pastries, I have no problem with *other* Slavs
            calling them whatever they want... :-)

            Predslava,
            on a crusade to reclaim Russian names for Russian dishes...