Re: [sig] Hungarian/Polish food

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2000
      > I would tend to beware things that are proportedly Polish or Hungarian.
      > There are a number of recipes for Moorish and Jewish dishes that include
      > various parts of pig in them, which is one of the rules which has not
      > changed as the laws of Kashrut changed. Something we think others might
      > eat, but don't necessarily. For a modern example... chop suey. or
      > spaghetti...

      Bogdan, could you elucidate on this statement? I'm not sure I follow what
      you are saying here, since we weren't discussing Moors or Jews..

      "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"
    • Jeff Heilveil
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000
        Salut!
        What I meant was that often in period writers from one nationality have
        said that a recipe was done in the manner of (insert ethnicity) even
        though at times the recipe was CLEARLY not of that ethnicity (for example,
        things done in the "moorish" or "Jewish" way that contain pork products),
        so you might want to be careful about using sources that are supposedly a
        dish done in the "Polish way" or served with a "Polish" sauce, if it
        wasn't recorded by someone who was Polish.

        Hope this clears things up a little bit...
        Bogdan

        Jeffrey Heilveil M.S. Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
        Department of Entomology A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
        University of Illinois
        heilveil@...
        office: (217) 244-5115
        home: (217) 355-5702
        ICQ: 34699710

        Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
        the best of all possible worlds.
        -Voltaire, _Candide_
      • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000
          Heck, I first tasted Russian salad dressing about five years ago, and it was
          made by Kraft :).
          And Russian Rye tastes nothing like Real Russian Rye! :D

          Dmitriy
          not being helpful at all..

          >From: Jeff Heilveil <heilveil@...>
          >Salut!
          ><snip>
          >you might want to be careful about using sources that are supposedly a
          >dish done in the "Polish way" or served with a "Polish" sauce, if it
          >wasn't recorded by someone who was Polish.

        • Josh Uretsky
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000
            Any of you planning to go to the West An-Tir war this coming weekend?

            Samuil

            PS I hear the SIG was well represented at the heraldic symposium last.

            --------

            His eyen arn of cristal,
            Loken all in aumber;

            Josh Uretsky
            (510)594-9394
          • varju@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28, 2000
              I have yet to confirm this directly with Dr. Gloning but I do thingk the four
              "Bohemian/Hungarian" recipes he mentions are included in _Munchner
              Kochbuchhandschriften aus dem 15. Jahrhundert_ may actually be Hungarian.
              According to George Lang four recipes of dishes served at the wedding feast
              of Hollos Mattyas (Matthias Corvinus) were in a folio that was at the State
              Library in Munich. I'm hoping that it is these four recipes. I will pass on
              any of the information I get to the list.

              Noemi
              who is wondering if she can con her father into translating for her. . .