Hungarian/Polish food

  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27 6:29 AM
      Salut!
      I would tend to beware things that are proportedly Polish or Hungarian.
      There are a number of recipes for Moorish and Jewish dishes that include
      various parts of pig in them, which is one of the rules which has not
      changed as the laws of Kashrut changed. Something we think others might
      eat, but don't necessarily. For a modern example... chop suey. or
      spaghetti...

      Just a word of caution.

      Cu drag,
      Bogdan

      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S. Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
      Department of Entomology A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
      University of Illinois
      heilveil@...
      office: (217) 244-5115
      home: (217) 355-5702
      ICQ: 34699710

      Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
      the best of all possible worlds.
      -Voltaire, _Candide_
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27 10:10 AM
        > I would tend to beware things that are proportedly Polish or Hungarian.
        > There are a number of recipes for Moorish and Jewish dishes that include
        > various parts of pig in them, which is one of the rules which has not
        > changed as the laws of Kashrut changed. Something we think others might
        > eat, but don't necessarily. For a modern example... chop suey. or
        > spaghetti...

        Bogdan, could you elucidate on this statement? I'm not sure I follow what
        you are saying here, since we weren't discussing Moors or Jews..

        "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"
      • Jeff Heilveil
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28 6:27 AM
          Salut!
          What I meant was that often in period writers from one nationality have
          said that a recipe was done in the manner of (insert ethnicity) even
          though at times the recipe was CLEARLY not of that ethnicity (for example,
          things done in the "moorish" or "Jewish" way that contain pork products),
          so you might want to be careful about using sources that are supposedly a
          dish done in the "Polish way" or served with a "Polish" sauce, if it
          wasn't recorded by someone who was Polish.

          Hope this clears things up a little bit...
          Bogdan

          Jeffrey Heilveil M.S. Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
          Department of Entomology A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
          University of Illinois
          heilveil@...
          office: (217) 244-5115
          home: (217) 355-5702
          ICQ: 34699710

          Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
          the best of all possible worlds.
          -Voltaire, _Candide_
        • Dmitriy V. Ryaboy
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28 7:45 AM
            Heck, I first tasted Russian salad dressing about five years ago, and it was
            made by Kraft :).
            And Russian Rye tastes nothing like Real Russian Rye! :D

            Dmitriy
            not being helpful at all..

            >From: Jeff Heilveil <heilveil@...>
            >Salut!
            ><snip>
            >you might want to be careful about using sources that are supposedly a
            >dish done in the "Polish way" or served with a "Polish" sauce, if it
            >wasn't recorded by someone who was Polish.

          • Josh Uretsky
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28 10:52 AM
              Any of you planning to go to the West An-Tir war this coming weekend?

              Samuil

              PS I hear the SIG was well represented at the heraldic symposium last.

              --------

              His eyen arn of cristal,
              Loken all in aumber;

              Josh Uretsky
              (510)594-9394
            • varju@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 28 3:28 PM
                I have yet to confirm this directly with Dr. Gloning but I do thingk the four
                "Bohemian/Hungarian" recipes he mentions are included in _Munchner
                Kochbuchhandschriften aus dem 15. Jahrhundert_ may actually be Hungarian.
                According to George Lang four recipes of dishes served at the wedding feast
                of Hollos Mattyas (Matthias Corvinus) were in a folio that was at the State
                Library in Munich. I'm hoping that it is these four recipes. I will pass on
                any of the information I get to the list.

                Noemi
                who is wondering if she can con her father into translating for her. . .