Re: [sig] linen is your friend

  • Jenny Hess
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2000
      Not only is Linen your friend, but wet linen, too. I'm a fabric junke, not
      an expert, but since fabric & weather has some up before I'll throw in a
      bit that I know.

      For whatever reason, linen is far more absorbent than anything else. It
      tends to feel cool to the touch at room temperature - that's becausse it
      absorbs just that more of the humidity, whatever there is in the air.
      That's one simmple way of getting a guess on fabric content. another
      non-destructive one is what I call a scrunch test, but it can give similar
      results with cottons. hold the fabric in your hand, breath on it - add
      moisture vapor. scrunch it up quickly in you hand & hold for a bit. release
      & look. linin will tend to give sharp wrinkles nearly creases that stay.
      cootons will wrinkle, synthetics less so or not at all. rayon will wrinkle
      but not so sharply, & besides it has a greasy slippy feel.ry this with some
      known fibres.

      because it absorbs moisture more, linen can hold more water in it, per area
      or weight of fabric. Evaporative cooling is your friend, and period besides
      - the old wet bandanna trick. it works so much better with linen. poly
      blends tend to fell hot when wet. I used a very tightweigt linin shawl (Ok,
      it was a tablecloth so worn it was seethrough, but that made it gauzy) got
      it wet & wore it on shoulders, neck, head, held it on wrists, (shared a
      corner with the forehead of the tall furry fighters Oops, I digress)...
      while it staed damp a long time it was cool, & lifting it for the briefest
      moment cooled it aagin a remarkable amount. Cotton is hardly close.
      Linen as the next-to-skin layer gives a cooler feel, even with wool
      overtop.My est source of linen (since it's $10-20/yd when found - is thrift
      shop tablecloths!
      Those are my words of wisdom, for heat wear from one used to the cooler
      climes.
      Hope it helps someone, or convince you to splurge or to convert
      In all weather
      Enna
    • Jenny Hess
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2000
        >overtop.My est source of linen (since it's $10-20/yd when found - is
        thrift
        >>ordered from them a few times since. 100% linen, mostly under $6-$7
        Just another bit of Canadian Reality....and that $6 would cost me cosst to
        $10, nevermind what shipping or Customs does!
        Enna
      • Jenn Ridley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 11, 2000
          Enna wrote:

          >Linen as the next-to-skin layer gives a cooler feel, even with wool
          >overtop.My est source of linen (since it's $10-20/yd when found - is thrift
          >shop tablecloths!

          try www.fabrics-store.com. Tasha mentioned them a while ago, and I've
          ordered from them a few times since. 100% linen, mostly under $6-$7
          per yard (and 60" wide, to boot). Ooops! sale fabrics are even less.

          Orders ship really fast (I get them, cross-country, in about 4 days).
          Lots of *solid* colors, quite a few weights. (and I've found that
          they tend to cut on the generous side....I ordered four 5yd pieces,
          and not one of them was less than 5.25 yds)

          YMMV, NAYY, etc....

          stasia
          ---
          Jenn Ridley
          jenn.ridley@...
        • Amy Tubbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 12, 2000
            For those living in the SCA kingdom of CAID, I found a discount fabric
            store, F&M Fabrics, that carries linen, mostly white/cream, raw silk with
            stripe patterns, and "washable silk" for $3/yard. He is located here in
            *gasp* Bakersfield. Whereas that is not usually a stopping point for many
            people in California, it is often passed through en route to another
            destination. I can provide directions for those passing through. Remember,
            coronation next June is here, and you may want to bring a few extra dollars
            to spend. He also carries brocades for about $7/yard and trims for $1/yard.
            --Sasha
          • Judwiga Czarna Pika
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2000
              Hey, Sasha!!!!