Re: [sig] russian garb and names

  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2000
      In a message dated 6/11/2000 2:14:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      rayne182@... writes:

      << It will be quite hot at the event I'm going to (middle of summer), and most
      likely quite dusty. What sort of material will be period (or at least look
      it), but be light enough so I won't get overheated?
      Also, what sort of colours/patterns are good? Early period, if it helps,
      around 9th century. >>

      Linen! I pretty much swore off doing overdresses for the summer out of
      anything else after last couple of heated events. Try
      www.fabrics-store.com -- about $5.50 a yard, and large selection of colors,
      with several kinds of always popular in Rus' red. Speaking of colors --
      avoid dark shades, those are for mourning.

      Look at Predslava's website
      http://hometown.aol.com/Predslava/GiliarovskaiaPatterns.html for a "rubakha"
      pattern. This is your basic undergarment, which, if you are young enough,
      you could even wear alone in your period. If not, you can make a
      navershnik, a shorter overdress with wide sleeves, decorated along the hem
      (at least, don't be afraid to overdo it). For a maiden, zanaveska is a good
      option -- a tabard-like garment, worn berted over the undershirt.

      << Another thing. I wonder if there is a Russian/Slavic equivelent for the
      English "Stephanie" - It's my mundane life and going under anything other
      than that (except my mundane nickname Sway) is just..strange for me. >>

      You should really consult Paul's Dictionary of Period Russian Names:
      www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/ -- he is a real expert. As a suggestion, I
      recommend Stepanida, which is probably as close to Stephanie as you can get.
      Post-period nickname for this was "Stiesha."

      I hope this helps!

      Liudmila
    • sway
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2000
        You all have helped me tremendously! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Ever
        so much.
        Off to the (online) fabric store!
        Sway/Stepanida (I like that)