Bohemian garb

  • Krista Harjamaki
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2000
      On behalf of Enna (another new bohemian) and myself I am hoping that
      somebody here can share some specific answers...

      In an email conversation that I've had with Enna I discovered that we both
      would like to make garb appropriate to our personas, yet neither of us know
      where to begin with this. Could someone please share with us some info on
      basic garb for a bohemian persona? Resources both on and off line would be
      nice... pictures would be awesome.

      Many thanks!
      Alena
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2000
        Well, ladies, don't forget that c.900 jewellery was a BIG thing in
        Bohemia... if you had any status at all, you had at least a pair of
        earrings.

        Bohemia only got out from under the clutches of Great Moravia in 895, and
        so jewellery was still *heavily* Moravian influenced - quite clear from
        finds at
        Prague Castle and elsewhere. (Given that Great Moravia was just about to
        enter its own death throes, it's possible that some Moravian craftsmen
        simply moved to Prague...).

        I'll try to dig out some online pictures this evening, but in the meantime
        have a look at the earrings from Pohansko, which are about the same period,
        at http://www.phil.muni.cz/archeo/pohansko_uk.html

        Cheers!

        Alastair

        :-: Eclectic SIG links: http://www.geocities.com/alastairmillar/ :-:
      • Alastair Millar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2000
          Huh, not as much as I'd hoped for...
          Some Great Moravian earrings are shown on this page from the Czech Natinoal
          Museum's webiste:
          http://www.nm.cz/hm/sal_3-6.htm

          HIH

          Alastair

          :-: Eclectic SIG links: http://www.geocities.com/alastairmillar/ :-:
        • Parsla Liepa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 19, 2000
            <gloat>

            At long last, I have my grubby paws on it!

            When I was in Latvia last fall, I ordered a 'tautes terps', a traditional
            costume to be made. My aunt and uncle returned from Latvia last night,
            and they brought it back for me.

            A pleated wool skirt (brunchi) (apparently the pattern I had chosen, blue
            plaid with yellow flowers, is rare enough that they couldn't find anyone
            to weave it other than a 16 year old boy who said "Sure, I'll try it."); a
            linen blouse (bluze) with whitework detailing on the cuffs, collar, and
            upperarm; and a blue-grey woolen bodice (nyiburs) with silver buttons. To
            complete the outfit, a 3 meter inkle-woven belt (josta). And amber. Lots
            of amber.

            And just in time, too. The Latvian midsummer festival, Jani, is this
            weekend. For that, as an unmarried maiden, I add a wreath/crown of flowers
            (vainags).

            Too bad I can't wear it for SCA purposes. The pleated skirt dates
            to the 19th century; before that, evidence points to simply a piece of
            fabric wrapped and fastened at the waist with a belt, or two pieces of
            fabric fastened at the shoulders and cinched with a belt, rather chiton
            like.

            The store from which I ordered it does do 'earlier' outfits as well, but
            this is the type that gets worn by folk dancing troops and choirs and
            such.

            http://ai1.mii.lu.lv/kultura/anglt01.htm
            http://latinst.lv/li_eng_facts.htm

            both give images and brief write-ups of the folk costume. None of the
            pictures there are QUITE like mine, though.

            </gloat>

            Parsla