Known Worlde Symposium

  • timbo@marcon.org
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
      The Known World Costuming Symposium is looking for early period and
      Non-European classes. That's us. It will be held in Indiana in
      Novemeber 2000.
      'dak

      From: "Linda R. Fox" <lindaf@...>
      To: timbo@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 01:17:54 +0000

      Knowne Worlde Costume Symposium
      Instructor Registration Form

      Only one Class Entry per Form
      Deadline October 1, 2000
      Email to: lindaf@...
      Or mail to
      Linda Reames Fox
      901 E. Miller Drive
      Bloomington, IN 47401
      (812) 336-8238 (after noon or evening)

      SCA
      name_____________________________________________________________
      _____ Mundane
      Name_____________________________________________________________ _
      Address__________________________________________________________
      ___________
      ___________ City__________________________State or Prov_____
      Country____ Zip or Postal Code_______ Phone____________________Email
      (if any)__________________________________________ Name of
      Class____________________________________________________________
      ______ Description of
      Class____________________________________________________________
      Length of class (max of 2 hours)_______________________________ Number
      of pages of notes for proceedings volume (optional. Max. of 10 pages.
      Deadline 10/1)____________________________________

      Biographical information, SCA and mundane:
      Equipment needed for
      class______________________________________________________

      Other:___________________________________________________________

      Materials Fee (if any)________________________________________
      Materials to be supplied by students_____________________________
      Maximum Class Size_______________________________________________
    • Yana
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
        It's a bit early, but just FYI

        From <http://pennsicwar.org/penn33/AANDS/pennu.html>

        >There are several new class policies for Pennsic 33:

        >2. A&S tents will no longer be available for any private parties in the
        >evenings. This policy has become necessary due to misuse of the
        facilities by >some people in prior years.

        Not sure if this will apply to the annual SIG gathering or not, since we
        aren't really a private party, more of a casual get-together that allows
        any interested people to attend.

        >3. There will be no signup for classes. Classes will be entirely done on a
        >first-come, first-served basis.

        Well, that is just annoying, even though I don't like getting up so early
        in the morning to stand in the sign-up line. What about people who can't
        walk very fast? They are going to get left out of getting in line for teir
        next class if it is in a different tent. And what about the usual practice
        (in my experience) of teachers going waaayyyy over the allotted time? Or
        students asking questions after class? Of course, ending class on time
        (and starting on time) would be a welcome change, but I doubt this is going
        to be a very popular way of attaining this goal. There had better be a
        substantial gap scheduled between the classes.

        --Yana
      • Paul W. Goldschmidt
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
          I haven't received any submissions this quarter for the Winter issue of
          Slovo, so I'm going to pass on putting one out. I'll put a call out again
          in three months for articles and see if I get any response that time.

          If you have anything that you would like to see published in Slovo, do let
          me know.

          Thanks,
          Paul Wickenden of Thanet
        • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
            > It's a bit early, but just FYI

            *shrug* If anyone wants to run a SIG gathering at Pennsic, feel free. I
            will not be doing it.

            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
            can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
            -- Margaret Mead
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
              De-Lurking......
              Regarding submissions: I'm a mad writer of various
              formats, from fiction to journalism and everything in
              between ('course, there's still a question as to how
              much journalism is actually fiction... ;D ) I have
              been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
              because I don't have the ability to read Russian (my
              particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
              primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
              subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
              ability to do a better scholarly work than I.

              SIG has a reputation for being one of the best groups
              in the SCA for scholarly research and efforts at
              accuracy/authenticity. Which is why I signed up --
              I'm interested in authenticity. But lets face it --
              ya'll can be a little intimidating! :D The folks
              who've been around from the beginning know so darned
              much, it's hard to imagine how much research/reading
              has been done by you all. So, the idea of writing an
              article that will be read by so many who probably know
              so much more than I is rather off-putting.

              Just my POV on the lack of submissions.
              --Sfandra Dmitrieva

              =====
            • Linda
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                Sfandra,
                Please don't be "put-off" by the idea that we all know so much. Not all
                of us can read anything but English and we have to use secondary sources
                that refer to primary sources, observe reproduced illuminations and
                blockprints, and compare three or more secondaries to see if the info is
                agreed upon.
                And some of us are so busy or scattered (me) that even though we do have
                some information of interest, we haven't sat down and written it up.

                Even if you do write a "beginning information" article, it will be a
                good thing. There are a lot of beginners here....and your information
                can start a discussion that can draw related research from the rest.

                Maria P...(who promises to someday have a short article on medieval
                textiles relating with Poland)

                Post script: I've put up some medieval cloth information in the
                "glossary" at my website: http://www.classactfabrics.com

                <clip>

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Sfandra Dmitrieva wrote:

                  > I have
                  >been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
                  >because I don't have the ability to read Russian (my
                  >particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
                  >primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
                  >subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
                  >ability to do a better scholarly work than I.

                  Hey Mordak! Tell her just how much Russian *you* can read! :-)

                  Seriously, what's important isn't that you can read Russia, or whatever
                  other language your interest is, but that you can share what you have
                  learned with the rest of us. And if you feel that what you have written
                  isn't "scholarly" enough, you can always submit it for review to someone
                  here before you send it to Slovo. And there is always the appropriate
                  Knowledge Page, if you don't want to start with the newsletter.

                  --Yana (who actually *does* read Russian, but hasn't taught/written much at
                  all)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
                    'dak here. Thanks for outing me, Yana. But I would
                    like you all to know that I am living proof that you
                    can write authoritatively without reading Russian,
                    Polish, Romanian, etc. As for witing about subjects
                    already addressed, a new perspective, ie. your
                    perspective, is a valuable contribution to the bank of
                    research because even if your theories are disproven,
                    they habe succeeded when you prompt someone else with
                    better info. to respond, AND SHARE THAT INFO. It's a
                    win-win at that point....
                    So, take a chance, write some articles. Predslava
                    and Dmitry have corrected my theories on many
                    occassions, but I was glad for it because I learned
                    and incorporated the new info. I carry that evolving
                    knowledge base outlook to the classes I teach, the
                    info. provided me by interested parties and especially
                    in my dealings with my students/apprentices. My
                    endeavors have become better over time AND I STILL
                    DON'T SPEAK OR READ RUSSIAN. Go for It!!!!!!!
                    --- Yana <yana@...> wrote:
                    > Sfandra Dmitrieva wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have
                    > >been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
                    > >because I don't have the ability to read Russian
                    > (my
                    > >particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
                    > >primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
                    > >subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
                    > >ability to do a better scholarly work than I.
                    >

                    > Hey Mordak! Tell her just how much Russian *you*
                    > can read! :-)
                    >
                    > Seriously, what's important isn't that you can read
                    > Russia, or whatever
                    > other language your interest is, but that you can
                    > share what you have
                    > learned with the rest of us. And if you feel that
                    > what you have written
                    > isn't "scholarly" enough, you can always submit it
                    > for review to someone
                    > here before you send it to Slovo. And there is
                    > always the appropriate
                    > Knowledge Page, if you don't want to start with the
                    > newsletter.
                    >
                    > --Yana (who actually *does* read Russian, but hasn't
                    > taught/written much at
                    > all)

                  • Tracy Kremer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
                      > Subject: Slovo (was Re: Re: Digest Number 1701)
                      >
                      > Tha FAQ already covers this question, but the short
                      > answer is that you go to the SIG website:
                      >
                      > http://slavic.freeservers.com
                      >
                      > -- Paul

                      Excellent! Thanks Paul, and my apologies for asking
                      when I should have looked! I don't know what I was
                      thinking.

                      Eluned

                      CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and all lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold.

                      for good webcomics! http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

                      http://personals.yahoo.com
                    • Marilyn Kinyon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
                        I've just looked at the latest Slovo ( thanks again Paul!); and
                        enjoyed all the great coverage on Slavic U. While looking it over I
                        had an idea and decided to post a blurb about Slavic U., the link to
                        this edition of Slovo, and a link to the Univ. notes on the
                        Aethelmearc list . I figured it's a little more free publicity for
                        next time plus folks who may not have gotten there or heard of SIG
                        could access the notes. It would be a great idea if someone in each
                        Kingdom could do the same.

                        The more who know about us the better!

                        Lady Marija