Re: [sig] Age of languages

  • Parsla Liepa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2000
      Many thanks to all who answered my question about how much
      Slavic/Eastern languages have changed over time versus Western
      languages. (It's been a hectic few weeks, I apologize for the delay)

      I had always thought that, say, a modern Polish speaker could go back to
      the 12th century and be pretty well understood, far better than a French
      or English speaker. Is that not correct, then?

      Parsla
    • Vaclav von Pressburg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2000
        On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 03:36:25PM -0400, Parsla Liepa wrote:

        > Many thanks to all who answered my question about how much
        > Slavic/Eastern languages have changed over time versus Western
        > languages. (It's been a hectic few weeks, I apologize for the delay)
        >
        > I had always thought that, say, a modern Polish speaker could go back to
        > the 12th century and be pretty well understood, far better than a French
        > or English speaker. Is that not correct, then?

        No, there'd be about the same amount of difficulty in understanding
        the spoken language.

        --
        Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
        vaclav@...