Pennsic classes

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2000
      For those attending Pennsic (or those who want to see what we do there and
      drool), the Pennsic class listings are up on the web at
      <http://www.pennsicwar.org/classes.htm>.

      Among the SIG members teaching classes (I know I've missed some, please
      correct me):
      Jadwiga
      Paul Wickenden
      Liudmila
      Iaroslava Ivanova
      Yaakov
      Maria Piekneplotno
      Keran Roslin

      I also saw many other non-Slavic focused classes that would transfer into
      our realm well, such as a demonstration of icon painting, working with
      egg-tempera, bone and antler carving, shoemaking, various classes for
      making trim, accessories, cord, etc., and others I missed.

      (Jadwiga, I think you won the contest for the SIG member teaching the most
      classes at Pennsic. Geez woman, I counted at least five! This IS your
      vacation, after all....)

      --Yana, teacher of some, student of many
    • timbo@marcon.org
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2000
        The Known World Costuming Symposium is looking for early period and
        Non-European classes. That's us. It will be held in Indiana in
        Novemeber 2000.
        'dak

        From: "Linda R. Fox" <lindaf@...>
        To: timbo@...
        Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 01:17:54 +0000

        Knowne Worlde Costume Symposium
        Instructor Registration Form

        Only one Class Entry per Form
        Deadline October 1, 2000
        Email to: lindaf@...
        Or mail to
        Linda Reames Fox
        901 E. Miller Drive
        Bloomington, IN 47401
        (812) 336-8238 (after noon or evening)

        SCA
        name_____________________________________________________________
        _____ Mundane
        Name_____________________________________________________________ _
        Address__________________________________________________________
        ___________
        ___________ City__________________________State or Prov_____
        Country____ Zip or Postal Code_______ Phone____________________Email
        (if any)__________________________________________ Name of
        Class____________________________________________________________
        ______ Description of
        Class____________________________________________________________
        Length of class (max of 2 hours)_______________________________ Number
        of pages of notes for proceedings volume (optional. Max. of 10 pages.
        Deadline 10/1)____________________________________

        Biographical information, SCA and mundane:
        Equipment needed for
        class______________________________________________________

        Other:___________________________________________________________

        Materials Fee (if any)________________________________________
        Materials to be supplied by students_____________________________
        Maximum Class Size_______________________________________________
      • Yana
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
          It's a bit early, but just FYI

          From <http://pennsicwar.org/penn33/AANDS/pennu.html>

          >There are several new class policies for Pennsic 33:

          >2. A&S tents will no longer be available for any private parties in the
          >evenings. This policy has become necessary due to misuse of the
          facilities by >some people in prior years.

          Not sure if this will apply to the annual SIG gathering or not, since we
          aren't really a private party, more of a casual get-together that allows
          any interested people to attend.

          >3. There will be no signup for classes. Classes will be entirely done on a
          >first-come, first-served basis.

          Well, that is just annoying, even though I don't like getting up so early
          in the morning to stand in the sign-up line. What about people who can't
          walk very fast? They are going to get left out of getting in line for teir
          next class if it is in a different tent. And what about the usual practice
          (in my experience) of teachers going waaayyyy over the allotted time? Or
          students asking questions after class? Of course, ending class on time
          (and starting on time) would be a welcome change, but I doubt this is going
          to be a very popular way of attaining this goal. There had better be a
          substantial gap scheduled between the classes.

          --Yana
        • Paul W. Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
            I haven't received any submissions this quarter for the Winter issue of
            Slovo, so I'm going to pass on putting one out. I'll put a call out again
            in three months for articles and see if I get any response that time.

            If you have anything that you would like to see published in Slovo, do let
            me know.

            Thanks,
            Paul Wickenden of Thanet
          • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
              > It's a bit early, but just FYI

              *shrug* If anyone wants to run a SIG gathering at Pennsic, feel free. I
              will not be doing it.

              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
              can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
              -- Margaret Mead
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                De-Lurking......
                Regarding submissions: I'm a mad writer of various
                formats, from fiction to journalism and everything in
                between ('course, there's still a question as to how
                much journalism is actually fiction... ;D ) I have
                been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
                because I don't have the ability to read Russian (my
                particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
                primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
                subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
                ability to do a better scholarly work than I.

                SIG has a reputation for being one of the best groups
                in the SCA for scholarly research and efforts at
                accuracy/authenticity. Which is why I signed up --
                I'm interested in authenticity. But lets face it --
                ya'll can be a little intimidating! :D The folks
                who've been around from the beginning know so darned
                much, it's hard to imagine how much research/reading
                has been done by you all. So, the idea of writing an
                article that will be read by so many who probably know
                so much more than I is rather off-putting.

                Just my POV on the lack of submissions.
                --Sfandra Dmitrieva

                =====
              • Linda
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Sfandra,
                  Please don't be "put-off" by the idea that we all know so much. Not all
                  of us can read anything but English and we have to use secondary sources
                  that refer to primary sources, observe reproduced illuminations and
                  blockprints, and compare three or more secondaries to see if the info is
                  agreed upon.
                  And some of us are so busy or scattered (me) that even though we do have
                  some information of interest, we haven't sat down and written it up.

                  Even if you do write a "beginning information" article, it will be a
                  good thing. There are a lot of beginners here....and your information
                  can start a discussion that can draw related research from the rest.

                  Maria P...(who promises to someday have a short article on medieval
                  textiles relating with Poland)

                  Post script: I've put up some medieval cloth information in the
                  "glossary" at my website: http://www.classactfabrics.com

                  <clip>

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                    Sfandra Dmitrieva wrote:

                    > I have
                    >been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
                    >because I don't have the ability to read Russian (my
                    >particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
                    >primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
                    >subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
                    >ability to do a better scholarly work than I.

                    Hey Mordak! Tell her just how much Russian *you* can read! :-)

                    Seriously, what's important isn't that you can read Russia, or whatever
                    other language your interest is, but that you can share what you have
                    learned with the rest of us. And if you feel that what you have written
                    isn't "scholarly" enough, you can always submit it for review to someone
                    here before you send it to Slovo. And there is always the appropriate
                    Knowledge Page, if you don't want to start with the newsletter.

                    --Yana (who actually *does* read Russian, but hasn't taught/written much at
                    all)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
                      'dak here. Thanks for outing me, Yana. But I would
                      like you all to know that I am living proof that you
                      can write authoritatively without reading Russian,
                      Polish, Romanian, etc. As for witing about subjects
                      already addressed, a new perspective, ie. your
                      perspective, is a valuable contribution to the bank of
                      research because even if your theories are disproven,
                      they habe succeeded when you prompt someone else with
                      better info. to respond, AND SHARE THAT INFO. It's a
                      win-win at that point....
                      So, take a chance, write some articles. Predslava
                      and Dmitry have corrected my theories on many
                      occassions, but I was glad for it because I learned
                      and incorporated the new info. I carry that evolving
                      knowledge base outlook to the classes I teach, the
                      info. provided me by interested parties and especially
                      in my dealings with my students/apprentices. My
                      endeavors have become better over time AND I STILL
                      DON'T SPEAK OR READ RUSSIAN. Go for It!!!!!!!
                      --- Yana <yana@...> wrote:
                      > Sfandra Dmitrieva wrote:
                      >
                      > > I have
                      > >been reluctant to write anything for Slovo, simply
                      > >because I don't have the ability to read Russian
                      > (my
                      > >particular area of interest), thus cannot consult
                      > >primary sources, and so feel that no matter what
                      > >subject I focus on, someone else certainly has the
                      > >ability to do a better scholarly work than I.
                      >

                      > Hey Mordak! Tell her just how much Russian *you*
                      > can read! :-)
                      >
                      > Seriously, what's important isn't that you can read
                      > Russia, or whatever
                      > other language your interest is, but that you can
                      > share what you have
                      > learned with the rest of us. And if you feel that
                      > what you have written
                      > isn't "scholarly" enough, you can always submit it
                      > for review to someone
                      > here before you send it to Slovo. And there is
                      > always the appropriate
                      > Knowledge Page, if you don't want to start with the
                      > newsletter.
                      >
                      > --Yana (who actually *does* read Russian, but hasn't
                      > taught/written much at
                      > all)

                    • Tracy Kremer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
                        > Subject: Slovo (was Re: Re: Digest Number 1701)
                        >
                        > Tha FAQ already covers this question, but the short
                        > answer is that you go to the SIG website:
                        >
                        > http://slavic.freeservers.com
                        >
                        > -- Paul

                        Excellent! Thanks Paul, and my apologies for asking
                        when I should have looked! I don't know what I was
                        thinking.

                        Eluned

                        CONTACT ME FOR CUST0M NECKLACES! For SCA, New Age, and all lovers of amber and semiprecious stones...silver only, no gold.

                        for good webcomics! http://www.schlockmercenary.com http://www.kevinandkell.com

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • Marilyn Kinyon
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 13, 2008
                          I've just looked at the latest Slovo ( thanks again Paul!); and
                          enjoyed all the great coverage on Slavic U. While looking it over I
                          had an idea and decided to post a blurb about Slavic U., the link to
                          this edition of Slovo, and a link to the Univ. notes on the
                          Aethelmearc list . I figured it's a little more free publicity for
                          next time plus folks who may not have gotten there or heard of SIG
                          could access the notes. It would be a great idea if someone in each
                          Kingdom could do the same.

                          The more who know about us the better!

                          Lady Marija