Re: Holy or Saint?

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2000
      Svyatoslav wrote...

      >Well, while acknowledging the two holy women
      >named Sophie on the calendar, [snip]

      [grin] One of whom was probably allegorical anyway....

      >Some native Slavic speakers are baffled that English
      >would have one word for a holy person , "saint," and
      >another for consecrated or divine things, "holy."

      Yes, this is the same in modern Czech (and I assume - but don't know - in
      all other Slavic languages, too). So here, svaty/svata can be a title or an
      adjective. This gives us <Svaty Kr'iz'> for "Holy Rood" and <svaty Petr> for
      "Saint Peter" or <svata Tekla> for "St Thecla".

      >There, holy/saint is hagios (or hagia, in the feminine!).

      Yes, this was what I meant when I referred to the confusion about the Greek.
      cf. Agios Oros, the Holy Mountain (Athos), the very common Agios Nikolaos
      etc.

      Cheers

      Alastair

      Alastair Millar, BSc(Hons)
      Tel: +420.(0)603.274533, Fax: +420.(0)411.832090