Re: [sig] Pennsic comfort

  • Diane S. Sawyer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2000
      --- Castalia <castalia@...> wrote:

      > >Unless you're talking about those foam camping mats that are only
      > >about an inch thick, the kind that inflate a little when you
      > unroll
      > >them. They might insulate a little better, but they'd kill my
      > back.
      > >
      > >Tasha
      >

      > The very same. Only and inch thick or so, inflate when you unroll,
      > them,
      > but they are well insulated. I usually freeze my tush at camping
      > activities, and last Pennsic I shuddered and shook on toilet
      > breaks, but was
      > not chilled in my tent.
      >
      > I don't know if your products are different in America, but the mat
      > I bought
      > in Canada has worked well for me. The regular air mattresses are
      > death to
      > arthritics.
      {snip}

      > IS
      > Ksenia

      No, we have the self-inflating mats here, too. It's just that I had
      back surgery in February, so I'm a little tender still. I slept on a
      three inch thick futon mattress at Easter and was in incredible pain.
      My lord swears to me that it will be better padded when we camp. I
      am taking an air mattress just in case. He hates them, but if it's
      what I need so I can get a decent night's sleep and walk in the
      morning, he'll have to deal.

      I haven't tried insulating one on the ground, as he did build us a
      bed, and that eliminates the temperature problems. A thick blanket
      should help.

      Tasha

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22, 2000
        >I haven't tried insulating one on the ground, as he did build us a
        >bed, and that eliminates the temperature problems. A thick blanket
        >should help.
        >
        >Tasha

        Try laying a space blanket (shiny silver crinkly mylar, buy just about
        anywhere) underneath the air mattress, shiny side up. It should help keep
        the cold from circulating too much. For those that use a cushion on the
        ground, slipping a space blanket between you and the ground helps
        immensely. Anyway, they are nice to have around for emergencies, are
        cheap, and they don't take up much space.

        --Yana, already reading the camping books