Re: [sig] Distinctive dress for HOT weather

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2000
      Sorry this is late, I'm entering the last few weeks of Hell, I mean, school
      and I'm a leeeetly bit busy.

      The peplos idea made my brain hurt, especially picturing a sarafan over it
      (whoever had that idea, please don't feel bad, it was really creative and
      creativity is a good thing). And I do not think that in Russia, anyway, a
      peplos was ever used in the SCA period (perhaps really early pre-period,
      but I'm not sure). In my mind, especially for a female early persona or a
      late persona wanting to be cooler and slightly more lower-staus/class (is
      there a polite way to say that?), a long shirt (rubakha) would be primo.
      My advice is to make one rubakha and try it out at a hot event.

      Splurge on linen (which you can find very affordably on the web anyway), it
      is only one garment and most of us will pay more for off-the-rack clothes
      at a nice department store. Besides, this shirt will be a basic piece of
      Russian/Rus' garb for you and will get a lot of use. Patterns can be found
      from the clothing page of the Russian Knowledge Page.
      <http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/knowledge/main.html>

      If you use a medium-weight linen (which is what you will normally find
      anyway), you shouldn't need to worry about modesty, if you worry about
      those things. Linen is more period and will keep you cooler than cotton.
      If the linen is thin, you can do what I have done and make a sleeveless
      linen rubakha to go under it (or keep the sleeves on, I just removed mine
      so I could wear the shirt under other clothing items) or a linen drawstring
      slip/skirt. Two layers of light linen is just fine in the heat, in fact,
      it can insulate you slightly and keep you cooler. Besides, I remember
      seeing a reference somewhere (I'm sure someone will look it up for me)
      about a properly modest Russian woman wearing two shirts.

      Use a white or natural/grey linen if you can. Decorate with red accents
      (embroidery, stitched on ribbon, etc) around the neck, cuffs and hems. We
      don't have any good documentation for how they were decorated, but we can
      fudge here (simple embroidery looks really effective). We are just trying
      for something closer to Russian than a Anglo-Norman T-tunic. Add a belt of
      some type (fabric, metal, or leather, without the long dangling tail) and
      you are pretty much set! Rubakhas can be made ankle-length and with wrist
      length sleeves that can be rolled up when necessary The shorter length is
      still period and will be cooler to boot (rubakhas look good with bare
      feet). If you are a married or mature woman, wear a head covering
      (lightweight linen!). If you are a young girl or unmarried young woman,
      wear your hair down or wear the headcovering anyway to keep the sun off
      your head and neck and your entire body much cooler.

      How can you go wrong? You end up with an outfit that is cool (temperature
      and fashion), is much, much closer to period than a broadcloth poly-cotton
      T-tunic, and you are really, really identifiable as a Rus'.

      --Yana, who needs to go to bed after she picks up the living room
    • MHoll@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , May 2, 2000
        In a message dated 4/26/2000 3:04:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
        tasha_medved@... writes:

        > Also, who says that the undertunic *has* to be as long as the over
        > tunic? Make false sleeves so that the whole outfit *looks* like
        > layers, but really isn't. Only you will know for sure.

        That's exactly what I did -- I did use cotton, but I weathered upper-90s
        weather with rather high humidity (typical southern Ansteorran August
        weather).

        > Also, I highly recommend cotton-Lycra bike shorts under everything --
        > they prevent ugly chafing problems. They can be gotten at Wal-Mart
        > for the astronomical sum of $5-7 a pair (95% cotton, 5% Lycra).

        Oh yeah! An essential part of every event-packing! That, and decent shoes.

        Predslava,
        ready to cheat in inhumanly hot weather.
        Still pining for a "civilized" climate, with proper winters and NO FIRE ANTS!
      • Castalia
        Message 3 of 26 , May 5, 2000
          Well, I have an article on sarafan construction based on Master
          Mordak's (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!) Way Cool Russian Costuming Packet
          (TM) on the SCA-Garb website: http://sca-garb.freeservers.com -- it
          was also reprinted in the latest edition of Slovo (BTW, Yana? Slovo
          left off the attribution to Mordak.)

          I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can anyone help
          me?

          Thanks,
          the Other Ksenia
        • timbo@marcon.org
          Message 4 of 26 , May 6, 2000
            (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!)

            wavewavewave...hey there Ksenia!!!!

            I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can anyone
            help me?

            That's because I've been a slacker! But, if Yana Groznya is going to
            be at Crown in the Quad Cities in two weeks, so will I, with all
            my stuff in hand!
            'dak, Russkie slacker
          • Jenn/Yana
            Message 5 of 26 , May 6, 2000
              For everyone who has been wondering about Mordak's clothing packet, here is
              the information.

              I will scan and upload the packet to a website as soon as I receive a copy.
              After I start uploading it, I will post the URL here. There is no URL
              yet. Please be patient. :-)

              --Yana

              P.S. Mordak, I will not be at Crown Tourney. Would you please write to me?
            • Diane S. Sawyer
              Message 6 of 26 , May 8, 2000
                --- Castalia <castalia@...> wrote:

                > Well, I have an article on sarafan construction based on Master
                > Mordak's (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!) Way Cool Russian Costuming
                > Packet
                > (TM) on the SCA-Garb website: http://sca-garb.freeservers.com -- it
                > was also reprinted in the latest edition of Slovo (BTW, Yana?
                > Slovo
                > left off the attribution to Mordak.)
                >

                > I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can
                > anyone help
                > me?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > the Other Ksenia

                On which site? I can help you with SCA-Garb: At the main page
                (http://sca-garb.freeservers.com) look on the side navigation bar
                under articles. There should be one entitled "The Russian Sarafan."
                As I said, it's based on Mordak's pattern. The packet itself is not
                available on the site. However, as soon as it's up somewhere, I will
                want to link to it!

                Tasha

                http://im.yahoo.com/
              • timbo@marcon.org
                Message 7 of 26 , May 8, 2000
                  Hey Everyone,
                  The following is a direct lift from the Midrealm Laurel
                  discussion page. I would deeply appreciate a translation for this
                  gentle. You'll probably have to do a direct answer to his private
                  cite as this is a dedicated page.
                  Spasebah,
                  'dak

                  To: midlaurel@...
                  Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:14:53 -0400
                  Subject: MIDLAUREL: Assistance with a Translation?
                  From: Timothy A Whitcomb <freyja1@...>

                  Hi, folks!

                  Could any one where translate into Latin and/or Russian the
                  following?:

                  "Have Pipkin, Will Travel"

                  Your assistance is appreciated..this is for a fellow potter in
                  Calontir..

                  Hroar
                  ~