cossack hardsuit

  • timbo@marcon.org
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000
      Kind of like the German Landesknecht's?

      Turrel,
      Not to sound like an authenticity goober, but Landsknecht is very
      similar to other Western European fashions in that it has
      slashed proto-doublets and hose (pluterhosen). The screwed up thing
      is that Polish coats are long and flairing with inset sleeves and and
      other "modern " tailoring techniques so Ukrainian has this, plus
      poofy pants called charovoy (Tartar), slit sleeves reminesent of 15th
      C itaian fashions and hats that are simply unique. I see no reason at
      all why pockets for plates (especially plastic) cant be sewn into the
      inner lining to create a "hardsuit". It would be very, very cool. I
      do recommend the book I cited earlier simply because it is quite
      illustrative, if post-period. I personally wear a Persian caftan over
      my hardsuit but thats because I like doing things not done
      before....besides, I like Persian. Please keep me informed about how
      the Cossack coat comes out. Very, very cool idea! 'dak
    • sheila widmaier
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2000
        > Cossack fashions and reference materials:
        > Actually, the Cossack coat is primarily an
        > imitation of Polish fashions,
        Result: a mixture of Polish, Tarter and and Turkish
        > fashions. Sort of dribs and drabs of whatever they
        thought was particularly cool looking and flamboyant.

        Kind of like the German Landesknecht's?

        Ideally he would like to wear this as hardsuit armour,
        by having pockets in the lining to insert the
        plastic/metal plates.....

        Anyone with any suggestions?
        Turrel

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Sheila W.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2000
          --- In sig@egroups.com, timbo@m... wrote:

          > Kind of like the German Landesknecht's?
          >
          > Turrel,
          > Not to sound like an authenticity goober, but Landsknecht is
          very
          > similar to other Western European fashions in that it has
          > slashed proto-doublets and hose (pluterhosen).

          Sorry, actually what i meant is the tendency to wear anything that
          looks flamboyant, not necissarly 'traditional'...

          Thanks!
          Turrel