spinning wheels (was:Re: [sig] Isabelle's article )

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2000
      > I'm trying to find out if there is some reason for spinning wheels
      > being developed so late in period. Unless my information about how
      > they work is all wrong, it seems to me that spinning wheels could
      > have been invented several hundred years before they were; they don't
      > use any process or invention that wasn't known to the Romans, do
      > they?
      >
      > Alanna
      > ***********

      I admit to not knowing that much about spinning wheels, but I think they
      were satisfied with spindles until some enterprising soul decided to turn a
      spindle on its side and make the first spinning wheel and that just happened
      to be ca. 1400. Spectacles didn't come in until the fourteenth century, in
      Italy, even though they'd always had glass. It's the same idea with spinning
      wheels. The first wheels were rather unweildly and difficult to use for
      about 150 years. They made some adjustments and finally came up with the
      wheels we use today. There is a spinning list out there somewhere but I
      think I got disconnected to it. Maybe the server is screwed up.

      Isabelle
      patricia.hefner@...
    • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2000
        > > I'm trying to find out if there is some reason for spinning wheels
        > > being developed so late in period. Unless my information about how
        > > they work is all wrong, it seems to me that spinning wheels could
        > > have been invented several hundred years before they were; they don't
        > > use any process or invention that wasn't known to the Romans, do
        > > they?

        Romans had the technology for paper clips too, but just never thought of
        using them.

        --Walraven