Re: [sig] Isabelle's article

  • Robert J Welenc
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000
      >As for textile arts, I really don't know that much. I need to do
      some
      >research myself. I spin wool using a drop spindle. Spinning wheels
      didn't
      >come in until about 1500 or so--I've heard conflicting dates. Some
      people
      >will tell you 1400 or thereabouts. I just know more about this stuff
      than I
      >do about some of the early tribes who settled in this area!! :-)

      Isn't there an SCA textile arts list? If so, could someone forward
      this message to them?

      I'm trying to find out if there is some reason for spinning wheels
      being developed so late in period. Unless my information about how
      they work is all wrong, it seems to me that spinning wheels could
      have been invented several hundred years before they were; they don't
      use any process or invention that wasn't known to the Romans, do
      they?

      Alanna
      ***********
      Saying of the day:
      Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2000

        > I got "Anne's Bohemia" from either Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble's site. It's
        > not hard to get.

        Anne's Bohemia: Czech Literature and Society, 1310-1420
        Alfred Thomas
        Format: Paperback, 194pp.
        ISBN: 0816630542
        Publisher: University of
        Minnesota Press
        Pub. Date: April 1998

        Barnes & Noble is the only one that has the publisher's blurb, but
        borders.com has it at a $4 discount (15.96 rather than 19.96).

        "Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
        I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey