Re: [sig] Isabelle's article

  • Patricia Hefner
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000
      A couple of questions for you: "Anne's Bohemia"... could you post the
      reference for that? I'd love to try finding it. Thanks!

      And... You said that you'd do a better job on textile arts... do you mean
      textiles as related to Bohemia? If so, would you be willing to share some
      of what you know? Whatever forum is easiest for you, of course (here...
      another article... just answering some questions...) I'd really appreciate
      it, as I know *nothing* of the clothing or fabrics of the area (yet! I
      haven't had time to do any research).

      thanks!

      Alena

      I got "Anne's Bohemia" from either Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble's site. It's
      not hard to get. I actually can't find my copy of it right now, but it's
      around here somewhere. I'll look for it and relay more info if you want it.
      As for textile arts, I really don't know that much. I need to do some
      research myself. I spin wool using a drop spindle. Spinning wheels didn't
      come in until about 1500 or so--I've heard conflicting dates. Some people
      will tell you 1400 or thereabouts. I just know more about this stuff than I
      do about some of the early tribes who settled in this area!! :-)

      Isabelle
      patricia.hefner@...
    • Robert J Welenc
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2000
        >As for textile arts, I really don't know that much. I need to do
        some
        >research myself. I spin wool using a drop spindle. Spinning wheels
        didn't
        >come in until about 1500 or so--I've heard conflicting dates. Some
        people
        >will tell you 1400 or thereabouts. I just know more about this stuff
        than I
        >do about some of the early tribes who settled in this area!! :-)

        Isn't there an SCA textile arts list? If so, could someone forward
        this message to them?

        I'm trying to find out if there is some reason for spinning wheels
        being developed so late in period. Unless my information about how
        they work is all wrong, it seems to me that spinning wheels could
        have been invented several hundred years before they were; they don't
        use any process or invention that wasn't known to the Romans, do
        they?

        Alanna
        ***********
        Saying of the day:
        Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2000

          > I got "Anne's Bohemia" from either Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble's site. It's
          > not hard to get.

          Anne's Bohemia: Czech Literature and Society, 1310-1420
          Alfred Thomas
          Format: Paperback, 194pp.
          ISBN: 0816630542
          Publisher: University of
          Minnesota Press
          Pub. Date: April 1998

          Barnes & Noble is the only one that has the publisher's blurb, but
          borders.com has it at a $4 discount (15.96 rather than 19.96).

          "Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
          I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey