Re: [sig] Re: a couple questions

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2000
      > Thank you very much for the links. I've been trying to develop an early period
      > (11th or 12th cent.) persona. I'm looking at doing a Russian-Viking sort of
      > thing from Novgorod and this info will help immensely. Can anyone recommend any
      > books or links on early Novgorod?

      May I recommend _Wooden Artefacts from Medieval Novgorod_?

      Kolchin, Boris Aleksandrovich.
      Wooden artefacts from medieval Novgorod
      Oxford, England : B.A.R., 1989. ISBN: 0860546357

      BTW, someone remind me to take some kind of picture of my first attempt to
      imitate the painted wooden spoons from this book, and put it on the web.
      I have to do some more research; one of the judges in the A&S contest I
      entered it in claimed in her judges' notes that it should be lacquer
      rather than paint, but the book does not say, and unfortunately, the judge
      did not give me a reference to follow up on the use of lacquer in early
      Russia.

      "Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
      I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey