Re: [sig] Fw: Catholics in Ukraine

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2000
      > > A couple questions mashed into one message
      > > 1. Can anybody tell me if there are surviving..well, um anything,
      > >about religion pre-Catholic and Christianity in Russia? Anywhere is
      > good,
      > >the area around Moscow and/or Kiev is better.>>
      > Well from my limited research and understanding the only thing I
      > thought might be noteworthy which you did not mention was the fact many
      > Russians view Alexander Nevski as a savior because of his defeat of
      > the Teutonic Knights, whom Pope Gregory IX had commissioned to
      > christianize the Baltic.

      Considering that the Teutonic Knights' strategy for 'Christianizing'
      places consisted of wiping out the pagan populace and replacing it with
      German settlers, that doesn't seem to apply. Also, in that invasion, the
      Teutonic Knights were invading a nominally Christian area...

      "Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
      I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey