Femur repeat

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2000
      Jade wrote:
      >....I would need another discription of what it
      >looked like to forward to him.

      Here it is at last - the original description which I posted up to the list
      in March -

      ***************
      An acquaintance in a UK university was recently given an unusal item by a
      member of the public, who had found it while clearing out their
      grandfather's attic. It is an adult human femur - here is his description:

      [quote]
      The first striking thing about it are 5 bands of carefully and
      very skilfully plaited copper wire which encircle the shaft at
      roughly equal intervals across its length. A great deal of effort
      has been taken to apply these bands which have an almost
      woven quality to them. Three of the bands are thicker (wider)
      than the others. On closer examination the bone itself can be
      seen to highly polished both along the shaft and at both ends -
      apparently caused by repeated rubbing, but more likely
      repeated handling.
      [unquote]

      Obviously, the origin of the object is unknown, although there is the
      faintest of hints that it is West African. It may be ancient (it may not
      be), but must have been collected/curated pre-1940.

      ********************

      Thanks again!

      Alastair
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2000
        Wups! One thousand apologies - that last msg went to the wrong list!
        Please ignore and throw away!

        Alastair
        Being more careless than usual today...
      • Robert J Welenc
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2000
          At 12:35 PM 5/1/00 +0200, you wrote:
          >Wups! One thousand apologies - that last msg went to the wrong list!

          >Please ignore and throw away!
          >
          >Alastair
          >Being more careless than usual today...

          <Alanna's ears perk up>

          What list discusses ritual objects made of human body parts? Sounds
          like something I may be interested in lurking on...

          Alanna
          ***********
          Saying of the day:
          Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
        • Mark Shubelka
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2000
            Ah! A Femur, how Humorus.

            Mark Shubelka
            Jester@...
            http://www.mv.com/ipusers/heart
            Kythe Szubielka
            Polish Jester
            1220 Monrovia
            Baronial Jester of Stonemarche
          • Diane S. Sawyer
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2000
              --- Mark Shubelka <jester@...> wrote:
              > Ah! A Femur, how Humorus.

              Another punster skullking about... I didn't think the effect would
              have this wide a radius.

              Tasha

              http://im.yahoo.com/
            • timbo@marcon.org
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2000
                Another punster skullking about... I didn't think the effect would
                have this wide a radius.

                What........you can't stand a good ribbing? I thought you were bad to
                the bone!!!
                Clavicus Femuris