Fw: Catholics in Ukraine

  • Bob Markovitch
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 8:07 PM
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <sig@egroups.com>
      To: <sig@egroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2000 1:17 AM
      Subject: [sig] Digest Number 292

      rayne182@... writes:

      << Greetings
      A couple questions mashed into one message
      1. Can anybody tell me if there are surviving..well, um anything, about
      religion pre-Catholic and Christianity in Russia? Anywhere is good, the
      area around Moscow and/or Kiev is better.>>

      Well, neither Moscow nor Kiev people were Catholic (unles you count Polish
      period in Ukraine). There was that Unia (do I spell this right in English?)
      thing of mixed Orthodox-Catholic church agreement in Western Ukraine, but
      that is different. Of pagan religion of the Ancient Rus nothing survived

      Well, from broad generalizations, I understand the basic assertions,
      herre, but I'd like to add some nuances.

      As for the people of Ukraine/Belarus' never being Catholic, that
      depends on you definition of "Church" and "Catholic".

      One, most minimal definition of Catholic is "in union with the See of
      Rome.", which is arguably how Ukraine began it's Christianity in the time of
      the state of Rus' era via St. Volodymyr/Vladimir in 988. (so some people
      like to say they were Catholic at the time, or "CAtholic too" or Catholic
      and Orthodox.) In spite of the Great Schism in 1054, the Church of Kyiv
      continued contacts with Rome during the era of the state of Halych-Volyhnya
      (12th-14th centuries), and were present at every one of the 21"Ecumenical
      Councils" according to the Catholic listing, except one.
      As for the Unia, that was decided a the Council of Brest in 1596, on
      behalf of the entire Ruthenian Church of Kyiv/Halych (Ukraine and Belarus'),
      not just Western Ukraine. The metropolitans, stayed in Kyiv until the 1620s
      or so, for the most part. The "unia" though ran against the budding
      indepence movment of the Ukrainian Kokaks, based in Kyiv.

      Svyatoslav.