Re: [sig] With Fire and Sword

  • Vaclav von Pressburg
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29 9:15 AM
      On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 07:52:55PM -0600, Robert L. Parker wrote:
      > Thank you all for the wonderful insights into my question, but . . . I
      > don't believe that one of them got answered. Who are the Ruthenians?

      The Ruthenians are speakers of East Slavic dialects who live on
      the western side of the Carpathians in what is now Poland, Slovakia,
      Hungary and even Rumania. They are also called Carpatho-russians
      and Rusyns. They have probably been there at least since the
      eleventh or twelfth century. Their traditions indicate that they
      were christianized by disciples of Constantine and Methodius, so
      they might have been there in the tenth century.

      During the nineteenth and most of the twentieth century there have
      been competing views among the Ruthenians as to whether their language
      was a dialect of Ukrainian or a separate East Slavic language.

      The Rusyn language has recently been standardized. See

      http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org

      --
      Waclaw von Pressburg Veritas liberabit uos
      vaclav@...