Tea Mushroom

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 1999
      A while back on the list Liudmila asked about if the "tea mushroom"
      (chainyi grib") had made it to America. This particular mushroom is used
      to ferment a tea and sugar mixture that is then drunk as a beverage. I
      believe I have found out more info on it!

      Best site I've found so far:
      http://w3.trib.com/~kombu/

      Apparently, here in America it is called a "Kombucha mushroom" and it is
      sold as a dietary supplement. Most of the sites say it entered Russia from
      China "very early", but no dates or references are given. From what I
      gathered in my reading (way too many) of these sites, it isn't really a
      mushroom, but a type of yeast. The resulting tea "tastes like tart apple
      cider" and is basically "good for what ails you". The tea is a low-alcohol
      beverage - about 0.5 percent.

      So, does this sound familiar Liudmila?

      Ilyana Barsova (Yana) aka Yana Groznaia, evil list-administrator
      jdmiller2@... http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
    • LiudmilaV@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 1999
        jdmiller2@... writes:

        << So, does this sound familiar Liudmila? >>

        It does! Thank you, I will check out that site...I wish they would be more
        specific about the time, though.

        Liudmila