Re: [sig] Digest Number 291

  • Bob Markovitch
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2000
      From: <sig@egroups.com>
      To: <sig@egroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2000 1:32 AM
      Subject: [sig] Digest Number 291

      > Isn't the name "Ukraine" from the Russian for "border country" or
      > "frontier", much like the word "mark" is German for border? I'm under the
      > impression that this word was first used for the present Ukraine in the
      > sixteenth century, but, as always, I could be wrong. :-)
      >
      > Isabelle
      > patricia.hefner@...

      The earliest use of "Ukraine" [Ukr. oo-krai-YEE-na] that I know of is
      on a European map, still extant from the 1100's.
      I believe it indicated roughly the same area as Rus' proper--Kyiv,
      Chernihiv, and Pereyaslav--as opposed to wider Rus', the full empire.
      The name came into much greater use in the 17th century. And was
      strongly re-appropriated in the 19th century.
      "Borderland" is the standard explanation in most sources--though I've
      seen very little evidence for it. The other more native theory is that
      there is a Ukrainian verb, "Krai-TYH," which means to cut.
      There was some tendency in the Russian language to use the name in
      Russian oo-KRAI-na for the area the Ukrainians called "Free Ukraine"

      I think the popularity of calling Ukraine borderland in the west
      comes from the fact that the history of this area was told by it's
      occupiers--Russia.

      Svyatoslav