a couple questions

  • steph
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 28, 2000
      Greetings
      A couple questions mashed into one message
      1. Can anybody tell me if there are surviving..well, um anything, about
      religion pre-Catholic and Christianity in Russia? Anywhere is good, the
      area around Moscow and/or Kiev is better.

      2. I know there's a thread on this, but I'm a bit confused (my brain is a
      bit addled from school. The weekend's here, finally!). What does one wear
      when going to an impossibly hot war in the middle of summer? I'm attending
      Darkwell war this year in Caid and I really don't know what to wear, and
      what material to make it from. Unmarried female (I'm 15), living in Kiev
      during Grand Princess Olga's reign, I am! Oh, and a friend once mentioned
      that Russian women kept their hair long. Unfortunatly, I had to cut my
      longish hair quite short, (chlorine absolutley ravaged it), so I don't know
      what to do.
      I'm a bit new at this, having switched personae until I finally settled on
      Russian,
      Thank you so much for reading!
      Adleida Dmitrovna
      there's a great deal of poetry and fine sentiment in a chest of tea
    • Alastair Millar
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 30, 2000
        Galina wrote:
        >I've also heard of a book called "The Book of
        >Veles/Volos" (can't remember which spelling they use)
        >that I've been trying to get my hands on, but it isn't
        >available in English yet

        A translation of the Book of Veles is being put on-line with notes at
        http://wicca.drak.net/gwiddon/index.html (this is an *excellent* site with
        other translated material, too - highly recommended!!)

        FWIW, Roman Zaroff's "Organised pagan cult in Kievan Rus': the invention of
        foreign elite or evolution of local tradition?" at
        http://metalab.unc.edu/sergei/Zaroff/ is a fascinating look not only at the
        politics of Slavic pagan religion, but at some of the possible roots of
        Slavic paganism.

        Alastair
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1 8:40 PM
          Sorry this is late, I'm entering the last few weeks of Hell, I mean, school
          and I'm a leeeetly bit busy.

          The peplos idea made my brain hurt, especially picturing a sarafan over it
          (whoever had that idea, please don't feel bad, it was really creative and
          creativity is a good thing). And I do not think that in Russia, anyway, a
          peplos was ever used in the SCA period (perhaps really early pre-period,
          but I'm not sure). In my mind, especially for a female early persona or a
          late persona wanting to be cooler and slightly more lower-staus/class (is
          there a polite way to say that?), a long shirt (rubakha) would be primo.
          My advice is to make one rubakha and try it out at a hot event.

          Splurge on linen (which you can find very affordably on the web anyway), it
          is only one garment and most of us will pay more for off-the-rack clothes
          at a nice department store. Besides, this shirt will be a basic piece of
          Russian/Rus' garb for you and will get a lot of use. Patterns can be found
          from the clothing page of the Russian Knowledge Page.
          <http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/knowledge/main.html>

          If you use a medium-weight linen (which is what you will normally find
          anyway), you shouldn't need to worry about modesty, if you worry about
          those things. Linen is more period and will keep you cooler than cotton.
          If the linen is thin, you can do what I have done and make a sleeveless
          linen rubakha to go under it (or keep the sleeves on, I just removed mine
          so I could wear the shirt under other clothing items) or a linen drawstring
          slip/skirt. Two layers of light linen is just fine in the heat, in fact,
          it can insulate you slightly and keep you cooler. Besides, I remember
          seeing a reference somewhere (I'm sure someone will look it up for me)
          about a properly modest Russian woman wearing two shirts.

          Use a white or natural/grey linen if you can. Decorate with red accents
          (embroidery, stitched on ribbon, etc) around the neck, cuffs and hems. We
          don't have any good documentation for how they were decorated, but we can
          fudge here (simple embroidery looks really effective). We are just trying
          for something closer to Russian than a Anglo-Norman T-tunic. Add a belt of
          some type (fabric, metal, or leather, without the long dangling tail) and
          you are pretty much set! Rubakhas can be made ankle-length and with wrist
          length sleeves that can be rolled up when necessary The shorter length is
          still period and will be cooler to boot (rubakhas look good with bare
          feet). If you are a married or mature woman, wear a head covering
          (lightweight linen!). If you are a young girl or unmarried young woman,
          wear your hair down or wear the headcovering anyway to keep the sun off
          your head and neck and your entire body much cooler.

          How can you go wrong? You end up with an outfit that is cool (temperature
          and fashion), is much, much closer to period than a broadcloth poly-cotton
          T-tunic, and you are really, really identifiable as a Rus'.

          --Yana, who needs to go to bed after she picks up the living room
        • MHoll@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , May 2 9:19 PM
            In a message dated 4/26/2000 3:04:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
            tasha_medved@... writes:

            > Also, who says that the undertunic *has* to be as long as the over
            > tunic? Make false sleeves so that the whole outfit *looks* like
            > layers, but really isn't. Only you will know for sure.

            That's exactly what I did -- I did use cotton, but I weathered upper-90s
            weather with rather high humidity (typical southern Ansteorran August
            weather).

            > Also, I highly recommend cotton-Lycra bike shorts under everything --
            > they prevent ugly chafing problems. They can be gotten at Wal-Mart
            > for the astronomical sum of $5-7 a pair (95% cotton, 5% Lycra).

            Oh yeah! An essential part of every event-packing! That, and decent shoes.

            Predslava,
            ready to cheat in inhumanly hot weather.
            Still pining for a "civilized" climate, with proper winters and NO FIRE ANTS!
          • Castalia
            Message 5 of 26 , May 5 8:29 PM
              Well, I have an article on sarafan construction based on Master
              Mordak's (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!) Way Cool Russian Costuming Packet
              (TM) on the SCA-Garb website: http://sca-garb.freeservers.com -- it
              was also reprinted in the latest edition of Slovo (BTW, Yana? Slovo
              left off the attribution to Mordak.)

              I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can anyone help
              me?

              Thanks,
              the Other Ksenia
            • timbo@marcon.org
              Message 6 of 26 , May 6 1:58 AM
                (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!)

                wavewavewave...hey there Ksenia!!!!

                I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can anyone
                help me?

                That's because I've been a slacker! But, if Yana Groznya is going to
                be at Crown in the Quad Cities in two weeks, so will I, with all
                my stuff in hand!
                'dak, Russkie slacker
              • Jenn/Yana
                Message 7 of 26 , May 6 3:27 PM
                  For everyone who has been wondering about Mordak's clothing packet, here is
                  the information.

                  I will scan and upload the packet to a website as soon as I receive a copy.
                  After I start uploading it, I will post the URL here. There is no URL
                  yet. Please be patient. :-)

                  --Yana

                  P.S. Mordak, I will not be at Crown Tourney. Would you please write to me?
                • Diane S. Sawyer
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 8 5:29 AM
                    --- Castalia <castalia@...> wrote:

                    > Well, I have an article on sarafan construction based on Master
                    > Mordak's (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!) Way Cool Russian Costuming
                    > Packet
                    > (TM) on the SCA-Garb website: http://sca-garb.freeservers.com -- it
                    > was also reprinted in the latest edition of Slovo (BTW, Yana?
                    > Slovo
                    > left off the attribution to Mordak.)
                    >

                    > I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can
                    > anyone help
                    > me?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > the Other Ksenia

                    On which site? I can help you with SCA-Garb: At the main page
                    (http://sca-garb.freeservers.com) look on the side navigation bar
                    under articles. There should be one entitled "The Russian Sarafan."
                    As I said, it's based on Mordak's pattern. The packet itself is not
                    available on the site. However, as soon as it's up somewhere, I will
                    want to link to it!

                    Tasha

                    http://im.yahoo.com/
                  • timbo@marcon.org
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 8 12:21 PM
                      Hey Everyone,
                      The following is a direct lift from the Midrealm Laurel
                      discussion page. I would deeply appreciate a translation for this
                      gentle. You'll probably have to do a direct answer to his private
                      cite as this is a dedicated page.
                      Spasebah,
                      'dak

                      To: midlaurel@...
                      Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:14:53 -0400
                      Subject: MIDLAUREL: Assistance with a Translation?
                      From: Timothy A Whitcomb <freyja1@...>

                      Hi, folks!

                      Could any one where translate into Latin and/or Russian the
                      following?:

                      "Have Pipkin, Will Travel"

                      Your assistance is appreciated..this is for a fellow potter in
                      Calontir..

                      Hroar
                      ~