Re: Ukrainian Surname suffix "-enko"

  • Sean Hinckley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 10:16 AM
      A Ukrainian exchange student, with the last name "Bondarenko", told me that
      the name was the equivalent of the English surname "Cooper" or barel maker.
      It was, like Smith, a name describing an occupation.

      My impession, and there may on this list more knowledgable then I...my
      impression was that "enko" was a necessary suffix to convey the difference
      between "barel" and "barel maker." I never actually asked my Ukrainian
      friend if this was a correct assumption. Anyone out there who can add to
      this?

      Gwilym Moore de Montfort