The Great Kvas Experiment -- Part One

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 1999
      Well, the time has come for me to delve into brewing (of a sort).

      Paul and I went to Chicago to celebrate Passover at a friend's house
      earlier this year. While we were there we made our traditional stops at
      the Russian-language bookstores on Devon Avenue (a must-see district).
      Devon is the most compact collection of ethnical diversity I have ever
      seen. It ranges from Indian, Pakistani, Ukrainian, Russian, Turkish,
      Chinese, Korean, Dutch, Swedish, and other groups I can't even remember.
      Driving down it is like taking a mini world tour.

      Anyway, we visited two Slavic grocery stores on our trip. We bought sushki
      (ring-shaped, pretzel-like pastries), Russian chocolate (shokolad
      'Slavianka', to be precise -- very yummy and the wrapper had a picture of a
      girl in a sarafan, how could I resist?), an absolutely _horrible_ mint soda
      that looked and tasted like fermented Scope, and kvas concentrate.

      For those new to the List, or who haven't been paying attention ; ), kvas
      is a traditional Slavic lightly-fermented beverage. It is made in various
      ways, but usually you take dark bread, soak it in hot water, add sweetener
      and ferment it for a short period of time. It is only _slightly_ alcoholic
      (sorry Liudmila and Predslava) and is still a popular (summer, mostly)
      drink in Russia for kids and adults.

      Kvas is mentioned in period sources, but we don't have any period recipes
      for it. Someone on the SIG List (Sergei, I believe) once tried brewing
      some at home using a modern recipe, but it didn't work out very well.

      To make a long story short, tonight I decided to make some kvas. I am
      cheating a bit and using a concentrate, but if it works out, I will be
      bringing kvas for everyone to try at the SIG party at Pennsic.

      Recipe and notes are in the next installment.

      Ilyana Barsova (Yana) aka Yana Groznaia, evil list-administrator
      jdmiller2@... http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
    • Robert Parker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
        Looking forward to it with great anticipation. Like you said, my kvas
        was "tak govno s limonom"

        Sergei
      • Jenn/Yana
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
          <Gasp> You should not use such language on the List! ; ) (just kidding)

          We are trying it out at dinner tonight. I wonder if it is a good
          accompaniment to turkey tacos...