Distinctive dress for HOT weather

  • ssaucer@juno.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
      My persona is undeveloped, other than being female, married, and from
      Krakow. I am perfectly willing to concoct any plausible story to be able
      to wear something that other SCAdians would recognize as Slavic or at
      least as NOT Anglo-French or Middle Eastern. It seems that period Polish
      dress is indistinguishable from German.
      Does anyone have a suggestion for something I could wear to summer
      camping events in the wretched heat of central California? I wilt when
      the temperature gets above 90 degrees Farenheight. I would like something
      that would be relatively inexpensive to make. I sew well, and am really
      tired of wearing T-style tunics, but don't have more than a few hours a
      week to devote to costume making.
      All this discussion about Russian headwear has me drooling, but I need
      something appropriate to wear on the rest of my body. I seem to recall
      some discussion as to whether Sarafan's are period, but don't recall the
      verdict, if there was one. I understand that there are many people who
      are wearing them, but there are plenty of people wearing non-period
      styled "harem/bellydancer" outfits too. If I am going to devote some time
      to making another costume, I'd like it to look as period as I can without
      getting a heat stroke when I wear it.
      Thanks.
      Ilijana Krakowska
    • Jenny Hess
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
        What about Peplos? Tube dresses with shoulder clips
        I love the things, but am a persona in transition. Early, Comfy, simple,
        easy to wear, & I"d love toknow about place aspects.
        Enna, needing cultural wardrobe change
      • vespirus@socrates.berkeley.edu
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
          On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 ssaucer@... wrote:

          > Does anyone have a suggestion for something I could wear to summer
          > camping events in the wretched heat of central California?

          Linen and an ice pack.

          Try looking at the clothing links from the Croatian Knowledge page. It's
          not particularly in keeping with a Krakow persona, but at least it would
          be Slavic.

          --Walraven (Nebuly Pursuivant -- that's for the Prov. of the Mists)
        • Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
            > > Does anyone have a suggestion for something I could wear to summer
            > > camping events in the wretched heat of central California?
            >
            > Linen and an ice pack.
            >
            > Try looking at the clothing links from the Croatian Knowledge page. It's
            > not particularly in keeping with a Krakow persona, but at least it would
            > be Slavic.

            I've got several warm-weather ideas going for a Polish persona:
            -Armenia-- there was a substantial Armenian community in Cracow
            - Bohemian bathhouse keeper garb: basically Gothic underwear, with a towel
            about the waist and accessorized with bucket and sponge. This is an excuse
            to wear sleeveless white sundresses.
            - light Italian Ren (Polish was really more Italian than German), which is
            a laced bodice and skirt overdress with tie-on sleves over a full fluffy
            chemise-- leave the sleeves off for cooling.

            "Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
            I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey
          • Krista Harjamaki
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
              > What about Peplos? Tube dresses with shoulder clips
              > I love the things, but am a persona in transition. Early, Comfy, simple,
              > easy to wear, & I"d love toknow about place aspects.
              > Enna, needing cultural wardrobe change

              Could somebody expand on this "peplos" concept? The "tube dresses with
              should clips" sounds like the traditional norse women's dress. It would be
              work over a t-tunic. The extra layer doesn't seem to lend itself to being
              too cool for summer wear. Now, on the other hand, this IS the SIG list and
              I'm wondering if I'm completely on the wrong track! Descriptions are great,
              but pictures are better. I'd love to hear more about this!

              Alena z Prahy
              (FORMERLY known as Aveline!)
            • Diane S. Sawyer
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
                --- Krista Harjamaki <klharjamaki@...> wrote:

                > Could somebody expand on this "peplos" concept? The "tube dresses
                > with
                > should clips" sounds like the traditional norse women's dress. It
                > would be
                > work over a t-tunic. The extra layer doesn't seem to lend itself
                > to being
                > too cool for summer wear. Now, on the other hand, this IS the SIG
                > list and
                > I'm wondering if I'm completely on the wrong track! Descriptions
                > are great,
                > but pictures are better. I'd love to hear more about this!
                >
                > Alena z Prahy
                > (FORMERLY known as Aveline!)

                Well, for starters, what are you making your garb out of? I'm a
                fabric snob -- 100% natural fibers only; linen preferred, then
                linen-cotton blends, then cotton, and wool for cooler weather. It's
                much easier to layer natural fibers, as they breathe beautifully,
                especially linen. If you're afraid it's too pricey, I can't put you
                onto some websites where gorgeous 60" wide linen is under $7 a yard
                (sometimes as much as $2 under).

                Also, who says that the undertunic *has* to be as long as the over
                tunic? Make false sleeves so that the whole outfit *looks* like
                layers, but really isn't. Only you will know for sure.

                Also, I highly recommend cotton-Lycra bike shorts under everything --
                they prevent ugly chafing problems. They can be gotten at Wal-Mart
                for the astronomical sum of $5-7 a pair (95% cotton, 5% Lycra).

                Tasha

                http://invites.yahoo.com
              • Kuzniar, Wendy
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
                  I've known peplos (and chitons) connected with Roman and Greek, don't know
                  about the Slavic angle. Mine are double-thick gauze (off-white), not worn
                  over anything, which works as long as it isn't raining, or you stand
                  directly in front of a campfire.... I also know people who lined theirs
                  with a cotton "slip" - probably not period, but not see-through, either.
                  They are *extremely* comfortable (I LOVE mine), and, depending on how you
                  wrap the belt, look reasonably good also. I have them trimmed with
                  contrasting colors of bias, and with stenciled patterns (yup, it's period),
                  and have them in a couple colors of gauze. They work with either decorative
                  buttons or beads & loops, or hooks & loops, depending on what you're
                  comfortable in - along the tops of the arms. They can be either open on the
                  sides, or sewn shut, depending again on personal preference.

                  Nezkha

                  > What about Peplos? Tube dresses with shoulder clips
                  > I love the things, but am a persona in transition. Early, Comfy, simple,
                  > easy to wear, & I"d love toknow about place aspects.
                  > Enna, needing cultural wardrobe change

                  Could somebody expand on this "peplos" concept? The "tube dresses with
                  should clips" sounds like the traditional norse women's dress. It would be
                  work over a t-tunic. The extra layer doesn't seem to lend itself to being
                  too cool for summer wear. Now, on the other hand, this IS the SIG list and
                  I'm wondering if I'm completely on the wrong track! Descriptions are great,
                  but pictures are better. I'd love to hear more about this!

                  Alena z Prahy
                  (FORMERLY known as Aveline!)

                  _____

                  <http://click.egroups.com/1/3660/2/_/263805/_/956778635/>
                  <http://adimg.egroups.com/img/3660/2/_/263805/_/956778635/468x60.gif>

                  _____

                  Slavic Interest Group homepage:
                  http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
                    OOOOh - linen for under $7/yard - DROOL - where????
                    Nekzha

                    Well, for starters, what are you making your garb out of? I'm a
                    fabric snob -- 100% natural fibers only; linen preferred, then
                    linen-cotton blends, then cotton, and wool for cooler weather. It's
                    much easier to layer natural fibers, as they breathe beautifully,
                    especially linen. If you're afraid it's too pricey, I can't put you
                    onto some websites where gorgeous 60" wide linen is under $7 a yard
                    (sometimes as much as $2 under).

                    Tasha
                  • Lord Kainin Tepésa
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
                      >If you're afraid it's too pricey, I can't put you
                      >onto some websites where gorgeous 60" wide linen is under $7 a yard
                      >(sometimes as much as $2 under).

                      I would like those site as well please.

                      back to lurking,
                      Kainin
                    • Diane S. Sawyer
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
                        --- Lord Kainin Tep�sa <kainin@...> wrote:
                        > >If you're afraid it's too pricey, I can't put you
                        > >onto some websites where gorgeous 60" wide linen is under $7 a
                        > yard
                        > >(sometimes as much as $2 under).
                        >
                        > I would like those site as well please.
                        >
                        > back to lurking,
                        > Kainin

                        Fabric Club: http://www.fabricclub.com Limited color selection.

                        Linenweb: http://www.linenweb.com Try really hard not to drool when
                        you see their goods -- tons of colors, great prices, and quick quick
                        QUICK service!

                        Tasha

                        http://invites.yahoo.com
                      • Jenn Ridley
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 26, 2000
                          Kainin wrote:
                          > Tasha wrote:

                          >>If you're afraid it's too pricey, I can put you
                          >>onto some websites where gorgeous 60" wide linen is under $7 a yard
                          >>(sometimes as much as $2 under).
                          >
                          >I would like those site as well please.
                          >
                          > back to lurking,
                          > Kainin

                          I'm not Tasha, but my current favorite site for linen is
                          www.linenweb.com. Lots of nice linen (and a few blends), and the
                          regular prices are about 30% below the "linens" at your local chain
                          store. Mostly solids, too.

                          stasia
                          ---
                          Jenn Ridley
                          jenn.ridley@...
                        • Judwiga Czarnpica
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 27, 2000
                            I would suggest one thing not really thought of as Polish, but Viking. The viking
                            dress is comfy, basically a t-tunic type chemise and an apron. Perhaps a sarafon
                            instead of an apron and you should be fine!!
                            Judwiga

                            ssaucer@... wrote:

                            > My persona is undeveloped, other than being female, married, and from
                            > Krakow. I am perfectly willing to concoct any plausible story to be able
                            > to wear something that other SCAdians would recognize as Slavic or at
                            > least as NOT Anglo-French or Middle Eastern. It seems that period Polish
                            > dress is indistinguishable from German.

                          • Jessica Wilbur
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 27, 2000
                              > I would suggest one thing not really thought of as Polish, but Viking. The viking
                              > dress is comfy, basically a t-tunic type chemise and an apron. Perhaps a sarafon
                              > instead of an apron and you should be fine!!
                              > Judwiga

                              I have done this (sarafan with t-tunic underdress) in the past. People do
                              mistake me for Viking, unless I'm wearing a kokoshnik, but it's incredibly
                              comfortable and does well in the heat (especially if everything is made of
                              linen). You can spiff it up by adding trim, pearls, etc.

                              --Smirenka, who doesn't perspire enough or thus handle heat well
                            • J. James
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 27, 2000
                                Hello - regarding sarafon's......I appear to be having
                                some difficulty in understanding how they look and
                                how they are made....all help would be appreciated.
                                I am a simple Scot you see....:)) Sine

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 27, 2000
                                  --- "J. James" <jesa@...> wrote:
                                  > Hello - regarding sarafon's......I appear to be having
                                  > some difficulty in understanding how they look and
                                  > how they are made....all help would be appreciated.
                                  > I am a simple Scot you see....:)) Sine

                                  Well, I have an article on sarafan construction based on Master
                                  Mordak's (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!) Way Cool Russian Costuming Packet
                                  (TM) on the SCA-Garb website: http://sca-garb.freeservers.com -- it
                                  was also reprinted in the latest edition of Slovo (BTW, Yana? Slovo
                                  left off the attribution to Mordak.)

                                  Tasha

                                  http://im.yahoo.com/
                                • Jenn/Yana
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 27, 2000
                                    (BTW, Yana? Slovo
                                    >left off the attribution to Mordak.)

                                    It has been fixed (we knew).

                                    --Yana
                                  • Diane S. Sawyer
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 27, 2000
                                      > (BTW, Yana? Slovo
                                      > >left off the attribution to Mordak.)
                                      >
                                      > It has been fixed (we knew).
                                      >
                                      > --Yana

                                      Spiffy. Thanks so much!

                                      Tasha

                                      http://im.yahoo.com/
                                    • steph
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 28, 2000
                                        Greetings
                                        A couple questions mashed into one message
                                        1. Can anybody tell me if there are surviving..well, um anything, about
                                        religion pre-Catholic and Christianity in Russia? Anywhere is good, the
                                        area around Moscow and/or Kiev is better.

                                        2. I know there's a thread on this, but I'm a bit confused (my brain is a
                                        bit addled from school. The weekend's here, finally!). What does one wear
                                        when going to an impossibly hot war in the middle of summer? I'm attending
                                        Darkwell war this year in Caid and I really don't know what to wear, and
                                        what material to make it from. Unmarried female (I'm 15), living in Kiev
                                        during Grand Princess Olga's reign, I am! Oh, and a friend once mentioned
                                        that Russian women kept their hair long. Unfortunatly, I had to cut my
                                        longish hair quite short, (chlorine absolutley ravaged it), so I don't know
                                        what to do.
                                        I'm a bit new at this, having switched personae until I finally settled on
                                        Russian,
                                        Thank you so much for reading!
                                        Adleida Dmitrovna
                                        there's a great deal of poetry and fine sentiment in a chest of tea
                                      • Alastair Millar
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 30, 2000
                                          Galina wrote:
                                          >I've also heard of a book called "The Book of
                                          >Veles/Volos" (can't remember which spelling they use)
                                          >that I've been trying to get my hands on, but it isn't
                                          >available in English yet

                                          A translation of the Book of Veles is being put on-line with notes at
                                          http://wicca.drak.net/gwiddon/index.html (this is an *excellent* site with
                                          other translated material, too - highly recommended!!)

                                          FWIW, Roman Zaroff's "Organised pagan cult in Kievan Rus': the invention of
                                          foreign elite or evolution of local tradition?" at
                                          http://metalab.unc.edu/sergei/Zaroff/ is a fascinating look not only at the
                                          politics of Slavic pagan religion, but at some of the possible roots of
                                          Slavic paganism.

                                          Alastair
                                        • Jenn/Yana
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 1 8:40 PM
                                            Sorry this is late, I'm entering the last few weeks of Hell, I mean, school
                                            and I'm a leeeetly bit busy.

                                            The peplos idea made my brain hurt, especially picturing a sarafan over it
                                            (whoever had that idea, please don't feel bad, it was really creative and
                                            creativity is a good thing). And I do not think that in Russia, anyway, a
                                            peplos was ever used in the SCA period (perhaps really early pre-period,
                                            but I'm not sure). In my mind, especially for a female early persona or a
                                            late persona wanting to be cooler and slightly more lower-staus/class (is
                                            there a polite way to say that?), a long shirt (rubakha) would be primo.
                                            My advice is to make one rubakha and try it out at a hot event.

                                            Splurge on linen (which you can find very affordably on the web anyway), it
                                            is only one garment and most of us will pay more for off-the-rack clothes
                                            at a nice department store. Besides, this shirt will be a basic piece of
                                            Russian/Rus' garb for you and will get a lot of use. Patterns can be found
                                            from the clothing page of the Russian Knowledge Page.
                                            <http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2/knowledge/main.html>

                                            If you use a medium-weight linen (which is what you will normally find
                                            anyway), you shouldn't need to worry about modesty, if you worry about
                                            those things. Linen is more period and will keep you cooler than cotton.
                                            If the linen is thin, you can do what I have done and make a sleeveless
                                            linen rubakha to go under it (or keep the sleeves on, I just removed mine
                                            so I could wear the shirt under other clothing items) or a linen drawstring
                                            slip/skirt. Two layers of light linen is just fine in the heat, in fact,
                                            it can insulate you slightly and keep you cooler. Besides, I remember
                                            seeing a reference somewhere (I'm sure someone will look it up for me)
                                            about a properly modest Russian woman wearing two shirts.

                                            Use a white or natural/grey linen if you can. Decorate with red accents
                                            (embroidery, stitched on ribbon, etc) around the neck, cuffs and hems. We
                                            don't have any good documentation for how they were decorated, but we can
                                            fudge here (simple embroidery looks really effective). We are just trying
                                            for something closer to Russian than a Anglo-Norman T-tunic. Add a belt of
                                            some type (fabric, metal, or leather, without the long dangling tail) and
                                            you are pretty much set! Rubakhas can be made ankle-length and with wrist
                                            length sleeves that can be rolled up when necessary The shorter length is
                                            still period and will be cooler to boot (rubakhas look good with bare
                                            feet). If you are a married or mature woman, wear a head covering
                                            (lightweight linen!). If you are a young girl or unmarried young woman,
                                            wear your hair down or wear the headcovering anyway to keep the sun off
                                            your head and neck and your entire body much cooler.

                                            How can you go wrong? You end up with an outfit that is cool (temperature
                                            and fashion), is much, much closer to period than a broadcloth poly-cotton
                                            T-tunic, and you are really, really identifiable as a Rus'.

                                            --Yana, who needs to go to bed after she picks up the living room
                                          • MHoll@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 2 9:19 PM
                                              In a message dated 4/26/2000 3:04:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                              tasha_medved@... writes:

                                              > Also, who says that the undertunic *has* to be as long as the over
                                              > tunic? Make false sleeves so that the whole outfit *looks* like
                                              > layers, but really isn't. Only you will know for sure.

                                              That's exactly what I did -- I did use cotton, but I weathered upper-90s
                                              weather with rather high humidity (typical southern Ansteorran August
                                              weather).

                                              > Also, I highly recommend cotton-Lycra bike shorts under everything --
                                              > they prevent ugly chafing problems. They can be gotten at Wal-Mart
                                              > for the astronomical sum of $5-7 a pair (95% cotton, 5% Lycra).

                                              Oh yeah! An essential part of every event-packing! That, and decent shoes.

                                              Predslava,
                                              ready to cheat in inhumanly hot weather.
                                              Still pining for a "civilized" climate, with proper winters and NO FIRE ANTS!
                                            • Castalia
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 5 8:29 PM
                                                Well, I have an article on sarafan construction based on Master
                                                Mordak's (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!) Way Cool Russian Costuming Packet
                                                (TM) on the SCA-Garb website: http://sca-garb.freeservers.com -- it
                                                was also reprinted in the latest edition of Slovo (BTW, Yana? Slovo
                                                left off the attribution to Mordak.)

                                                I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can anyone help
                                                me?

                                                Thanks,
                                                the Other Ksenia
                                              • timbo@marcon.org
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 6 1:58 AM
                                                  (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!)

                                                  wavewavewave...hey there Ksenia!!!!

                                                  I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can anyone
                                                  help me?

                                                  That's because I've been a slacker! But, if Yana Groznya is going to
                                                  be at Crown in the Quad Cities in two weeks, so will I, with all
                                                  my stuff in hand!
                                                  'dak, Russkie slacker
                                                • Jenn/Yana
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 6 3:27 PM
                                                    For everyone who has been wondering about Mordak's clothing packet, here is
                                                    the information.

                                                    I will scan and upload the packet to a website as soon as I receive a copy.
                                                    After I start uploading it, I will post the URL here. There is no URL
                                                    yet. Please be patient. :-)

                                                    --Yana

                                                    P.S. Mordak, I will not be at Crown Tourney. Would you please write to me?
                                                  • Diane S. Sawyer
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 8 5:29 AM
                                                      --- Castalia <castalia@...> wrote:

                                                      > Well, I have an article on sarafan construction based on Master
                                                      > Mordak's (wavewavewave -- hi 'dak!) Way Cool Russian Costuming
                                                      > Packet
                                                      > (TM) on the SCA-Garb website: http://sca-garb.freeservers.com -- it
                                                      > was also reprinted in the latest edition of Slovo (BTW, Yana?
                                                      > Slovo
                                                      > left off the attribution to Mordak.)
                                                      >

                                                      > I've had trouble finding Mordak's material on that site. Can
                                                      > anyone help
                                                      > me?
                                                      >
                                                      > Thanks,
                                                      > the Other Ksenia

                                                      On which site? I can help you with SCA-Garb: At the main page
                                                      (http://sca-garb.freeservers.com) look on the side navigation bar
                                                      under articles. There should be one entitled "The Russian Sarafan."
                                                      As I said, it's based on Mordak's pattern. The packet itself is not
                                                      available on the site. However, as soon as it's up somewhere, I will
                                                      want to link to it!

                                                      Tasha

                                                      http://im.yahoo.com/
                                                    • timbo@marcon.org
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 8 12:21 PM
                                                        Hey Everyone,
                                                        The following is a direct lift from the Midrealm Laurel
                                                        discussion page. I would deeply appreciate a translation for this
                                                        gentle. You'll probably have to do a direct answer to his private
                                                        cite as this is a dedicated page.
                                                        Spasebah,
                                                        'dak

                                                        To: midlaurel@...
                                                        Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:14:53 -0400
                                                        Subject: MIDLAUREL: Assistance with a Translation?
                                                        From: Timothy A Whitcomb <freyja1@...>

                                                        Hi, folks!

                                                        Could any one where translate into Latin and/or Russian the
                                                        following?:

                                                        "Have Pipkin, Will Travel"

                                                        Your assistance is appreciated..this is for a fellow potter in
                                                        Calontir..

                                                        Hroar
                                                        ~