Russian bania

  • Jenn/Yana
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23 7:58 PM
      I read an article on the Mediterranean hammam (sauna/bath/social gathering)
      today and went looking for some web info. Lo and behold, I found a lot of
      information on the bania (Russian sauna/bath). Go to
      <http://www.cyberbohemia.com/Pages/sweat.htm>
      and scroll down until you see "Russian Bania" on the left side of the page.
      There are several articles there. Modern information, of course, but
      there were banias in our time period in Russia. Enjoy!

      --Yana
    • Jenn/Yana
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23 8:09 PM
        Modern information, of course, but
        >there were banias in our time period in Russia. Enjoy!

        Okay, not all of it is modern. It does contain quotes from the Primary
        Chronicle and Olearius (late 1600's) and 19th century stuff (of course).

        On a side note, one of the Russian archaeology field schools that I was
        investigating said that once a week the entire group would visit the public
        bania in a nearby small town. Sigh, a missed anthropological opportunity.
        Anyone on the list been to a bania or public bathhouse in a Slavic country?
        Care to share your experiences?

        --Yana
      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2000
          > I read an article on the Mediterranean hammam (sauna/bath/social gathering)
          > today and went looking for some web info. Lo and behold, I found a lot of
          > information on the bania (Russian sauna/bath). Go to
          > <http://www.cyberbohemia.com/Pages/sweat.htm>

          Does anyone have an information on the Bohemian bathhouses and the
          bathkeepers? I have some very interesting stuff from _Gothic Woman's
          Fashion_ by Sronkova but have not found any corroboration elsewhere.

          "Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
          I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey
        • Jenn/Yana
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2000
            >Does anyone have an information on the Bohemian bathhouses and the
            >bathkeepers? I have some very interesting stuff from _Gothic Woman's
            >Fashion_ by Sronkova but have not found any corroboration elsewhere.

            I don't have any text sources, but I believe that the woman in white
            spaghetti-strap style dress on Alastair's webpage
            <http://www.skriptorium.cz> is one of what people call the "Bohemian Bath
            Babes".

            Aha! I just had a brainstorm and checked the Google search engine (my
            favorite engine now). From
            <http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~fashion/archives/hcos95/v03n245>, which is the
            H-Costume digest. Must be where I got the phrase from.

            <<
            > What exactly were the underpinnings? I've recently seen some
            > illuminations showing women in what I suppose is a chemise -- about a
            > mid-calf-length tube dress with straps over the shoulders, kind of like a
            > modern slip. Was this worn under another underdress? Was this a hot-weather
            > garment only?

            All the illustrations I've seen of this style save one are specifically of
            bath-house attendents in central Europe. (In fact, the majority of them
            come from a single source.) The one exception was of a respectable woman
            in bed after childbirth (from some Bohemian source). From this, my
            _personal_ interpretation is that the garment is, in some fashion, a
            normal undergarment, but that it would probably be considered indecent to
            wear in public alone. (Those bath-house girls had a fairly bad
            reputation, you know ....)

            Some friends and I refer to this particular outfit as "BBBB", for
            "Bodacious Bohemian Bath-house Babe". They're really cute.
            Heather Rose Jones>>

            Also look at <http://www.idyllmtn.com/savaskan/bathhouse_babes.html> for an
            image of the babes washing a client's hair.

            <http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/~fashion/archives/hcos96/v04n041> For some text
            explaining the undergarments.

            --Yana, who is being bad and not writing her paper on modern cemetaries.